Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can anyone recommend a good self help book - anxiety

(6 Posts)
Kmxxx14 Tue 17-Jan-17 09:35:25

I'm looking to read a book to help myself. I feel anxious a lot and I just need some tips & help. I've not read any self help books except The Secret which I didn't find particularly great to be honest.

Any suggestions?

Nightofthetentacle Tue 17-Jan-17 09:52:17

Hello - sorry to hear you're suffering, anxiety is a right bugger. I found Claire Weekes's stuff to be excellent for anxiety. I think "Essential Help for your nerves" was my favourite, but there are a couple of other books and audio ones that were good too. You can get 'em v cheap 2nd hand on Amazon.

And "Face your fear and do it anyway" is a classic for situational anxiety (i.e. not wanting to go for a job interview because you're half-convinced make a lmassive tit of yourself).

As an aside, I started out with the self help books and once I had a bit of a handle on my anxiety, slowly ended up sorting out my lifestyle (couch to 5k, giving up fags) and relationships (ditched some right horrors, got counselling). It's been a really good road to take, although it's taken time. Good luck.

fempsych Tue 17-Jan-17 09:56:15

More general type book is by Russ Harris and called the Happiness Trap or possibly start out with a mindfulness app on your phone. Head space is free for 10 days I think then you can chose to subscribe.

GP can now generally refer to therapy (CBT) or some places you can self-refer (Google your location and IAPT or talking therapies.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 17-Jan-17 09:59:17

this one

languagelearner Tue 17-Jan-17 16:23:38

The only one book (and I've read loads and loads of them) I found useful was Dale Carnegies books; "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" - available for immediate downloading on Google Play among other places.

Brown76 Tue 17-Jan-17 16:28:30

Claire weekes is absolutely fantastic, and there are also audio book versions which are brilliant to listen to for a few minutes when you need a recap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now