Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety at night/when alone need coping strategies

(5 Posts)
BumDNC Sun 15-Jan-17 01:24:34

I'm having health problems recently and they are giving me anxiety and panic attacks which I have had historically but not for many years this often or severe. It's all related to the health issue.

I'm trying to be sensible about sorting the health stuff out but the night anxiety (also social anxiety) is killing me slowly in itself.
I live alone with my kids and this is always when it is at it's worst.
I had a panic attack last night in public but it was quiet so went unnoticed and my boyfriend was there and he is amazing at talking me down but on the nights he isn't here, I feel like I have no coping strategy at all so just am awake all night shaking then finding it hard to function the next day.

My boyfriend cannot stay with me all the time and nor do I want him to because I don't want to rely on that as a way of coping I need to learn how to do it. Distraction only goes so far it doesn't work for long

AGBforever Sun 15-Jan-17 01:41:13

I drink a pint of water when I hit the random freak out stage - don't know if they are technically panic attacks but it would kick in - often when driving for some reason. Whether it was the slow breaths in before I could slug a load of water, or the water itself used to bring me back from the edge. Very unscientific I know but worked for me. Worth a try?

BumDNC Sun 15-Jan-17 01:51:16

Driving happens to me too. Thanks I will give it a go with the water. It's like my body and mind are on the blink!

sniffle12 Mon 16-Jan-17 00:06:29

My strategy is a bit random but it's to recite facts to myself, for example I know the year of each Olympics and where it was held, so I'll recite them in my head. Then maybe recite countries and their capitals. Holidays I've been on. Anything I can think of. Seems to help stave off the panic until the adrenaline rush starts to pass.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 16-Jan-17 08:49:15

Try writing down exactly what you are mulling over.
Two aspects.. One it forces you to clarify what is upsetting you so you can rationalise it.
And you have a record of your moods and thoughts.
Three, it takes you out of repetitive thinking by making you more self awaye.
five, I don't always count that well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now