Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is this OCD? And what about social phobia?

(2 Posts)
richmal3 Fri 13-Jan-17 22:03:47

I'm really worried my 12 year old DD may be developing OCD along with social phobia. She has always been a very shy child who describes herself as 'different' or 'weird'. She did ok at primary school, but after just over a year at secondary announced that she wasn't going to go to school any more, and has been home educated since.

The main reason was that she was being teased constantly at school, but she also felt she wasn't learning anything. I'm ok with her being home educated, but worried that she'll become socially isolated. She refuses to go to any local Home Ed groups, and has also refused to meet other children even when she's got a specific invitation.

Recently, she's become quite obsessed with dirtiness - she won't eat if there's so much as a crumb on the table, and has gone from being a child who loved to be out in the woods, to a child who refuses to go anywhere there might be the slightest possibility of getting dirty. She also washes her hands a lot, and at times when I wouldn't consider it necessary, eg after eating an apple. She won't blow her nose when we're out, partly because she's embarrassed to be seen blowing her nose, and partly because she might not be able to wash her hands immediately afterwards.

Does this sound like OCD? And if it is, is it possible to nip it in the bud, so to speak, before it gets even more disruptive of her life? I'm really worried about her, in all sorts of ways, and would like to hear from others who've had similar issues (OCD, and social phobia).

languagelearner Tue 17-Jan-17 16:28:00

Yes, it does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now