Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sucess Story - Eye Movement Integration (EMI) and PTSD.

(11 Posts)
AnxiousCarer Thu 12-Jan-17 20:05:36

I want to share a very positive experience, in the hope that others can benefit too.

I experienced a traumatic event last summer with relation to my DHs illness. And developed PTSD which presented as anxiety, flashbacks, pannic attacks, emotional numbing and poor concentration. I was unable to cope at work and struggled to manage in the supermarket. At its worst I couldn't concentrate for long enough to make a cup of tea and even got stuck in the kitchen on one occasion because I couldn't work out how to get out.

Medication took the edge off the anxiety and helped me sleep, meditation, mindfulness and exercise helped. My councellor taught me some excellent anxiety management techneques, but then got stuck and refered me on to a psychologist. I found the sessions with the psychologist made things worse, the anxiety and pannic attacks got worse, I dreaded appointments got hugely anxious for at least 24 hours before them and my mood started to drop, for the first time I was low and tearful aswell as anxious.

And then last week I went to see a different therapist for EMI privately. In that 1 session we worked through the trauma and the anxiety right back to its childhood routes. I feel amazing, there is no anxiety, no flashbacks, no pannic attacks, no urges to self harm. I've gone back to work, I feel like a weight has lifted and I've got a future again. I can look back at the traumatic events of the summer and analyse them rationally without the overwhelming emotions I had taking over. I've been discharged by the psychologist today and the EMI therapist doesn't feel I need follow up either.

dangermouseisace Thu 12-Jan-17 20:36:38

that is brilliant news! Well done you for being motivated enough to organise someone privately- so glad it was a success.

fallenempires Fri 13-Jan-17 11:42:16

That's fantastic news that must be such a relief for you!Have read some of your other threads and you sounded so broken with it all.Good to hear you sounding so positive!smile

Stuffofawesome Fri 13-Jan-17 11:45:07

good for you. I've heard really positive things about this therapy.

AnxiousCarer Fri 13-Jan-17 19:52:44

Thank you, I can't explain how good I feel, its so amazing to suddenly have eveything lifted away and feel happy, I was feeling pretty broken and now I'm all fixed up again grin

fallenempires Fri 13-Jan-17 21:35:55

Did you receive the therapy through private health insurance which is offered with work? If not would you be kind enough to give an approximate price for others.

AnxiousCarer Fri 13-Jan-17 23:56:27

It was £60 for a 1 hour session, they do not think I am likely to need another session. I'm in the NorthWest.

alltheworld Fri 13-Jan-17 23:59:31

If e m d r is the same thing as e m I then I had it for ptsd. It only took a few sessions and I got my life back.

Shallishanti Sat 14-Jan-17 00:07:14

congratulations, you must be so pleased
I have read about this therapy and was rather sceptical, so it's good to hear your experience

AnxiousCarer Sat 14-Jan-17 11:29:56

alltheworld apparently its similar to emdr (I thought they were the same thing initially) but has some differences. The therapists that use it say it is gentler and more effective, but having no experience of emdr I can't compare. I think they use different patterns of eye movement.

Amandahugandkisses Sat 14-Jan-17 11:58:51

I have been referred for this. What a wonderful thing to read I am so happy for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now