Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I cannot catch a break

(12 Posts)
Downmum2016 Wed 11-Jan-17 15:03:37

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. Having a really tough time. Try to keep in mind it won't always be like this but it's a prolonged period of stress and it's starting to take its toll. I have money problems, am out of synch with my friends lives, I can't keep my house tidy, I have a serious weight problem. Lots of stressful things have happened this year (health problems, family problems, problems with ex) and I'm struggling to find the energy to keep going. My doctor has started me in fluroxetine about 3 weeks ago and I'm hoping this will help but I worry I've lost my fight. Anyone else felt like this?

fallenempires Wed 11-Jan-17 15:13:30

Yes have done and am feeling so at the moment too.It's really demoralising anyway to have to somehow deal with things which are out of your control.
What dosage are you taking and how do you feel on fluoxetine so far?Any side effects or noticeable changes?

Downmum2016 Wed 11-Jan-17 15:19:04

I'm just on 20mgs. I have a bug anyway which is making me feel grotty but to be honest, being in bed has meant no one can get at me about 'what I'm not doing' under the guise of being ill. My friend started fluoxetine last year following her relationship breakdown and they've done wonders but I doubt they'll have a similar effect for me.

fallenempires Wed 11-Jan-17 16:08:28

You sound very low.When is your review date with your GP?

Downmum2016 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:23:03

I'm seeing him tomorrow as I need a sicknote

fallenempires Wed 11-Jan-17 16:43:33

It's worth mentioning it to him as your dosage may need tweaking,although it often takes a good month to fully get into your system you should really be feeling a bit easier now.I have taken fluoxetine in the past & it massively helped me especially when my dose was increased.

Downmum2016 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:17:40

I will. Thank you for listening. I just look at other people sometimes and wonder how they manage to juggle everything. I don't want loads of money or a big house, I would just like to come home at the end of the day and be able to relax / not wake up in the morning and start worrying the minute I open my eyes.

fallenempires Wed 11-Jan-17 18:24:49

Yes many of us have the same thoughts as you.It just seems to be a case of same shit different day doesn't it?
Hopefully the fluoxetine will help to take the edge off things for you.I found that they helped me gain clarity of mind which the illness had robbed me of.

Downmum2016 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:32:11

Do you remember how long it took for you to feel clearer? I have no energy either. Did it help with that?

fallenempires Wed 11-Jan-17 18:49:19

Felt calmer within days tbh.Exhausted yes,it wiped me out in a similar fashion as early pregnancy.Started to feel more capable if that makes sense about a month in.So fingers crossed for you.With your GP's help he can start to put you back on track.smile

EvaSthlm Wed 11-Jan-17 19:12:32

The money problem must be looming over you, sort of obscuring the view - it's difficult to get on one's feet if you have money problems. Can you do something about it? I sometimes watch a program where people with lots of debt are assisted to get on their feet, and one of the often used solutions is to try to renegotiate interest rates and to pay of credit card debt (sometimes with a new cheaper loan, sometimes with money from downsizing a car to something cheaper, or having a garage sale selling of stuff that is not a must). Then they go over the weekly/monthly budgets and cut out unnecessary shopping. Amazingly, in the show, they nearly always succeed in helping the one with the debt, with regard to their money problems.

Downmum2016 Wed 11-Jan-17 19:54:10

I have an IVA (a five year repayment plan) in place. I fell off it last year when things started to get bad with my MH. Part of the stress is around the worry of baliffs etc but I have contacted the people who manage the plan, cried, explained and the guy who I spoke to was lovely and is going to help me. It will make things tight budget wise but I guess it's necessary. I would just like to have a little bit of respite from worrying about paying for everything that needs to be paid for

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now