Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Obsessive worrying over something I can't control

(3 Posts)
GilMartin Mon 09-Jan-17 16:44:28

Ever since the EU referendum I've been plagued by a terrible disapointment and fear about the consequences that it is taking over my life. It has now reached the point that I wake up feeling sick and anxious and these thoughts occupy most of my waking day.

Obviously it is a big change and there will be economic consequences, but my worry is completely out of proportion and is becoming dehabilitating and obsessive. I veer between obsessively checking the news to avoiding it altogether. If the news comes on in a café I am gripped with panic and I avoid places that have rolling 24 hour news or conversations with people about politics.

I've suffered from depression in the past, but there's been a direct cause that I've been able to tackle and with the help of antidepressants and therapy, I've been able to manage them.

However this feels different. I can't directly effect the result and there are so many different aspects to the likely changes I can find a new angle to worry about. I've gone from friends being deported, through to unemployment (myself and the wider population) through to the impact of tariffs and even pet passports.

I feel so helpless, sick and frightened all the time and don't know how to make it stop.

Any advice?

LapinR0se Mon 09-Jan-17 16:49:28

I would advise you to see your gp and see what they suggest - probably CBT as it is very helpful when you get fixated on something. Medication can help too but CBT would probably be your first port of call. See what the doc says.
Hope you feel better soon x

GilMartin Mon 09-Jan-17 16:53:48

Thanks Lapin. I feel a bit better for admitting it. It is difficult to talk about the issue without it turning into a political/economic debate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now