Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Emetophobia

(4 Posts)
Looneytune253 Mon 09-Jan-17 07:55:38

I'm starting to think I might be emetophobic and wondering what I can do with it.
For a couple of years now I have had problems with my bowels and will have nausea and sometimes diarrhoea. I have linked this with stress or anxiety. I have had an anxiety around sick bugs too and i just can't get my head around it. I've never been frightened of vomit before and I'm still not but lately I just have to think about someone (who I don't know) who has a bug and I instantly feel sick. It's not even a conscious thought. My daughter threw up (once) a little while ago and I actually started pacing and panicking and worrying and ended up being ill myself. It's defo not a rational or conscious thought because I can tell myself its ok and I can rationalise it but I still get the physical symptoms.
I heard about a bug this morning and I immediately felt sick. Haven't even seen these people but it got me thinking if my daughter gets ill and I'm not gonna be able to cope with it. I need to do something.

Ive been telling myself its not a phobia cos I'm not afraid of vomit or vomiting but my panic when my daughter was sick was not normal. What can I do?

wideawakeat3am Tue 10-Jan-17 00:28:44

I have the same feeling as you about sickness/illness. For me, I can trace it back to an occasion a few months ago when we all got a nasty bug. I was pregnant at the time and a combination of these things triggered my anxiety. It sound slike you are feeling panicky and anxious, and there are lots of people who feel this way, and it's a very common reaction to stressful situations. I started sertraline a few months ago and have felt an improvement. I also do deep breaths and try and keep busy. If I feel really worried I try and put the radio or music on make myself have fun by dancing and signing along. Another thing I do to help overcome the anxiety is to have a stash of illness things - antibacterial wipes, n old bowl for sick, cloths, an.old towel to put on the bed, and those incontinence mats.

Hope you can find a way forward, or something which can distract you from the anxious thoughts..

Looneytune253 Tue 10-Jan-17 07:45:39

I don't even have a sick bucket which I think would relax me a little bit to know it was there. Lol.
I find distraction does help but it's hard when you're already panicking. Sometimes I just go to sleep (if it's evening) then if I wake up I tend not to feel nauseous as I'm not thinking about it. That's obv not practical all the time though.

Looneytune253 Sun 15-Jan-17 11:07:35

Does anyone else have any advice? I was ill again last night but think it was anxiety rather than thinking someone else was ill. My daughter has been in hospital all week which I coped with quite well (even when the nurse was chatting to her colleague about the horrible bug she still had!?!?!) But last night I was quite violently ill (diarrhoea) and think it's just psychological??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now