Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How can I relax?

(3 Posts)
TowerRavenSeven Thu 05-Jan-17 06:24:40

Hello, lately I feel tense all the time - even in my sleep. I've always been anxious (bullied as child) but at 27 I was diagnosed with cancer and that really was the start of full blown anxiety. I am 53 now (in remission) and over the last year I feel like I just can't relax almost ever.

I constantly am realizing my body tensing - clench jaw in sleep, hands always balled in fists, shoulders raised and tense. I'm exhausted with it.
I'm on Zoloft for chronic migraine which does help me sleep better, when I'm not woken by snoring husband, which is nearly every night. Then I go to sleep in another bedroom but the broken sleep is doing a number on me.
Dh was unfaithful 2.5 years ago (internet thing) which we sorted with counseling but being stressed and exhausted doesn't make me want to do the deed as often as we'd both like.

I don't have a particularly stressful life so what is wrong with me? I work only part time, only have one child who is a teenager so it's not like I'm shattered but I still feel like I am.

I do need to lose a good 15 lbs. and I don't exercise since I'm tired so often. I can't drink (migraines) so can't relax that way, I just feel like something has got to give or I'm going to snap! Why do I feel this way with so little responsibility when other women are super women?

If you made it this far thank you. I have no real support irl. My friends and family have their own problems and I lost both parents, dad when I was 22 and mom when I was 36.

Sorry to whinge. Just need some tips to relax so my body isn't so tense all the time.

SallyInSweden Thu 05-Jan-17 06:54:47

Do you exercise? You will feel a lot better if you exercise to the point of real tiredness. A long walk swim or run will tire you so tha you sleep well.

It's a good feeling.

Trooperslane Thu 05-Jan-17 07:19:48

Check the Andrew Johnson apps - they're fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now