Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Any advice for husband with possible Seasonal affective disorder

(4 Posts)
butterscotch1106 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:21:53

Hello. I hope you can help. Apologies if this is not in the right thread.

My husband has always been depressed in winter, much worse on dull dark grey days. He still manages to go to work/function, but says it is a real struggle.

He had a light box before, to wake him up with extra light in the mornings, but it didn't seem to help much.

I don't know if he does have SAD syndrome, it's not been diagnosed

He is taking vitamin supplements which is helping slightly.

He also has been diagnosed with CFS, and this also seems a lot worse in winter.

Has anyone got any advice to help with this, (apart from moving to a brighter climate!)

BeigeLeaf Tue 03-Jan-17 23:46:19

Has your DH had a Vitamin D blood test?

If deficient on with insufficient levels a normal Vitamin supplement won't get you to the required level.

See info here.

The test is £28 and using that link you can then get a free Vitamin D spray or you could try asking your GP.

The worsening of CFS symptoms over winter could be due to lower levels of Vitamin D over winter.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 04-Jan-17 08:35:26

Lights,, lights and more lights... modern LED's are good
Also bright airy decoration.... avoid dark colours
Sleep on the east side of the house where the sun rises...
get outside whenever the sun is in the sky

I have a bit of practical experience in this matter...

Checking vitamin D is also good.

butterscotch1106 Wed 04-Jan-17 09:11:02

Thank you for this advice, very useful I'm going into town now so will look for the test. Thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now