Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please help me

(5 Posts)
jogalong Tue 03-Jan-17 20:27:59

I am struggling at the moment and feel so down and crap. I have a special needs child who is now 8 and I just feel like I've had enough. Unless you have a child with special needs you just cannot understand what this is like. I'm so sick of the "services" and their half hearted efforts of support. I'm only a shell of the person I used to be. Leaving the house with my child is such an ordeal that its easier to stay at home. The stress is huge and im so overwhelmed.
I went to my gp last year and told her I was depressed. She prescribed anti depressant tablets but after 3 days I stopped taking them as they made me so lightheaded and sleepy. Should I go back again and try them again. Is this normal.
Sorry for rubbish post but just want to climb into bed and never get up.

Arcadia Tue 03-Jan-17 20:39:40

jogalong that sounds so hard, I can imagine it is a real struggle for you. So you have a partner? I found with anti depressants that it takes a few weeks for then to kick in and the side effects can be tricky to begin with. Maybe worth another try just to get you to a point where you feel more positive about things again?

Arcadia Tue 03-Jan-17 20:40:00

Sorry do you have a partner

Lovemusic33 Wed 04-Jan-17 10:03:41

Hi jogalong, I am a single mum of 2 children with special needs and finding everything hard sad, it isn't easy at all, I have spent the past 12 years fighting for services, education as well as battling my own personal problems.

I have tried many antidepressants, quite often stopping after a couple days due to feeling to awful to look after my dc's, I have now reached the point where I have to stick with them because I'm scared of what I will do if I don't sad, the side effects to wear off and I was told the worse the side effects the more likely they are to be working. I am on week 4 of Matrazapine and side effects have got easier to deal with though I don't know how well they are actually working as I still feel pretty lol.

I don't have a special needs child so all I can do is offer advice about antidepressants.

Trying to find the right one can be difficult. But trust me, when you do find a good fit they can give you so much help to cope when you're feeling overwhelmed. They don't miraculously make you happy- I found that I was just on more of an even keel and able to think clearly about practical strategies to help me cope with life.

I tried 3 different ones, which gave me intolerable side effects like sleepiness, sleeplessness, anxiety and nightmares. Finally I found one that only gave mild dizziness for the first week, followed by gradual improvement of my depression over a few weeks. You have to give them a chance as they can take up to 6 weeks to work.

Efexor was what worked for me, but everyone is different. Make sure you have a good doctor who knows their stuff.

Think of it as taking medication for a physical health problem, like you would for high blood pressure or diabetes. You're unwell and not coping, and medication can help.

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now