Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline- anyone else about to start them? Am scared

(155 Posts)
Margaret1982uk Tue 03-Jan-17 15:11:16

Sertraline- anyone else about to start them? Am scared

MissMatchedSocks Tue 03-Jan-17 16:33:03

What is it you're scared of?

I started taking Sertraline around a year ago and have personally got on really well with it.

81blondie81 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:40:06

Please don't be scared. I started taking them 8 years ago, when diagnosed with PND. I suffered no side effects and found them to be a huge help. Sending hugs x

Margaret1982uk Tue 03-Jan-17 16:44:59

Thank you- Am in tears at the thought of starting them as I have read so many horror stories sad and I am scared of being in charge of my baby in case they make me go funny..my doctor said to quarter the tablet for a week and then start taking half (25mg) and then if needed 50mg. How long did they take to kick in? Any tips very much apprecited x

FeckinCrutches Tue 03-Jan-17 16:46:33

I was terrified of starting mine, I even got my MIL to come and stay for a few days because I was worried about side effects and looking after the children. I felt a bit of a fraud because I was absolutely fine on them!

Nepotism Tue 03-Jan-17 16:47:17

I felt better after just a week. Side effects were seriously weird dreams and no orgasms. A small price to pay. I also found my concentration and general motivation improved. Good luck.

FeckinCrutches Tue 03-Jan-17 16:47:38

Just to add, I've been on lots of different ones over the years, and for me personally, these were the best ones.

HumpHumpWhale Tue 03-Jan-17 16:49:42

My DH takes them. He had a dry mouth for about a week. Other than that very little in the way of side effects. It has been totally life-changing for all of us though. He's on a very low dose but is just incomparably happier. I think it was about 2 weeks before he started feeling better but it was night and day.
If they don't suit you, you can always wean off them again, but you never know. This time two weeks you might feel amazing. Good luck!

MissMatchedSocks Tue 03-Jan-17 16:53:08

I started on the same dose and gradually increased, absolutely no side effects at all for me, they gave me the lower dose to begin with because of the bad side effects I had on fluoexitine (sp?) so hopefully you should be fine too. I started feeling better after around two weeks of taking them.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 03-Jan-17 17:00:06

Been on it for years. No side effects at all.

LeopardPrintSocks1 Tue 03-Jan-17 17:05:55

I started on 25mg and only had headaches and clenching jaw. On them for a month at 50mg and fine.

Margaret1982uk Tue 03-Jan-17 17:23:55

Thank you all- feel so much better reading this. My doctor also gave me diazapam in case I get too jittery. I have to do this now as I have been struggling for nearly 2 years and I just want my life back - please send me good luck vibes! :D

Oh and a cheeky question but will I be able to have the odd glass of wine?

LeopardPrintSocks1 Tue 03-Jan-17 21:22:10

I wasn't told no alcohol with it. Make sure you take it with food. Good luck, it's really helped my anxiety x

laidbackmummy13 Tue 03-Jan-17 21:28:25

I'm on 100mg a day. Never had a funny turn and been fine with a drink x

laidbackmummy13 Tue 03-Jan-17 21:29:33

And been on them around 3/4yrs now

MissMatchedSocks Tue 03-Jan-17 21:43:29

Yeah, you'll be fine with the odd drink. Sending plenty of good luck vibes your way!

tigerdriverII Tue 03-Jan-17 22:00:24

I'm on 100mg and have been for a while. I get a clenching jaw which I just have to be aware of. Also get very vivid dreams but those are quite fun. Otherwise, no ill effects and not being depressed is great.

GasLightShining Wed 04-Jan-17 22:42:38

Hi *Margaret"

Took my first dose today (50mg). I am hoping it will make me feel better. Want it to be an overnight success and am hoping it won;t take weeks

I suffer from constant nausea and upset stomachs anyway so may not notice any side effects.

Margaret1982uk Thu 05-Jan-17 17:21:58

Best of luck- how was first day?

GasLightShining Fri 06-Jan-17 13:45:33

Thanks. I don't actually feel any different but the chemist told me it may take a few weeks to kick in.

How are you doing

mydogmymate Fri 06-Jan-17 13:52:18

I've just started on them too and am currently on 50mg to rise to 100mg in a week. So far I haven't seen a great deal of difference except a voracious appetite! I've discussed this in another thread as I was worried about how the eating would affect my diabetes. I'm still waiting on blood tests to find out.
Good luck op, keep us posted as I will be interested in how you get on.

CorporalNobbyNobbs Fri 06-Jan-17 13:56:25

The first time I drank after I started I got completely hammered on a few wines. So be careful. But after that no adverse effects with alcohol (and I drink loads blush)

CorporalNobbyNobbs Fri 06-Jan-17 14:01:17

Not that I'm recommending drinking loads! But just my experience.

Mungobungo Fri 06-Jan-17 14:03:01

I started them at the beginning of last yr. Resisted for a long time because of the stigma I'd put in my own head, but so glad that I did.

I was a bit zombie like for a couple of weeks, but once they were in my system and working they really helped. I was at breaking point last January, actually thinking about suicide and feeling like I could never go back to work. 3 months later, back at work and a year after my breakdown, loving life and work and now off the meds.

Don't be frightened of using them, they are honestly life saving.

DeleteOrDecay Fri 06-Jan-17 16:25:47

I've just been prescribed these. Taken my first dose just now so obviously can't comment on my experience just yet but wanted to offer some support.

I have to go back in 2 weeks to see how I'm getting on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now