Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depression....or perimenopause?

(15 Posts)
GemmaB78 Sun 01-Jan-17 15:13:26

I have an appointment with the Dr later this week, but in the meantime, I'd welcome some experiences. I've been experiencing some weird symptoms that initially, I put down to depression, but I am wondering it it might actually be perimenopause.

I am suffering from extreme mood swings - it's like being two very different people, and the swings are huge, and can be very quick.

I get VERY tired in the evenings. I have a stressful job and a 16 month old, but I've just had two weeks off, and DS is sleeping much, much better, yet i'm still exhausted by 8pm.

My PMT has been significantly worse over the last 6 months or so.

My periods are heavier, and a bit erratic. I did have a coil fitted in August after having been on the pill, so had initially put it down to that.

At (almost) 39, I know I am young to be perimenopausal, but early menopause is common in my family.

I'd welcome some feedback on other's experiences. Does this sound familiar, or is depression more likely? I did suffer fron PND briefly but have had that under control until about a month ago.

monkeyblonde Sun 01-Jan-17 21:49:01

I believe I have the same thing, and I'm the same age as you. I've also recently had a coil fitted due to heavy periods since DS2 was born nearly three years ago.

My PMT is also awful, I can wake up in the morning feeling as though I'm going to have a 'good day' and the tiniest thing seems to change my mood and I'm just evil. I find it hard to work out if it's me or just the challenging behaviour of my 5 and nearly 3 year old boys.

I'm hoping someone else comes along on this thread and may offer some solutions....

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 01-Jan-17 22:40:49

Which coil?...

both of you

buckingfrolicks Sun 01-Jan-17 22:44:23

How's your memory??

monkeyblonde Mon 02-Jan-17 11:52:31

Mine is a Mirena, I had it before children and it worked well for me.

My memory could be better! I am often forgetful which is a new thing.

The worst bit by far is the lack of emotional control. I've only had the coil for a month so can't blame it on that, as the bad mood swings have been going on for at least 2 years.

GemmaB78 Mon 02-Jan-17 11:53:03

Copper coil for me. My memory is not as good as it was BUT I was putting that down to baby/lack of sleep brain. Now I'm not so sure....

Stilllivinginazoo Mon 02-Jan-17 11:57:14

Marina turned me into the pmt bitch from hell....

monkeyblonde Mon 02-Jan-17 12:26:14

I know my moods are not due to the mirena as I've only had it a month, previous one was removed 6+ years ago. My doctor did mention the peri menopause and prescribed ADs - not really my thing!

PringleDingle Mon 02-Jan-17 13:16:19

I mentioned to the doctor that I was feeling red hot all the time. Like even on the coldest days I struggle to put my make up on because I'm sweating so much very attractive. I just can't cool down and hot drinks set me off etc. I'm 41 and he said I was far too young and that was that. It very helpful at all!

monkeyblonde Mon 02-Jan-17 13:47:40

How about weight gain/retention girls?

fallenempires Mon 02-Jan-17 15:03:40

OP have you posted on the menopause board?

GemmaB78 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:34:43

monkeyblonde - no weight gain or retention for me but I'm very active/fit, so unlikely. fallenempires - no not yet. I will do so though - thanks.

Ottosaurus Mon 02-Jan-17 17:36:10

jumping on ... feeling the same but I do have weight gain... 39!

iveburntthetoast Mon 02-Jan-17 20:35:21

Have you had your thyroid function checked?

mylaptopismylapdog Sat 07-Jan-17 21:39:12

I would go to the doctor and tell this is family trait. If it is it might be worth considering hrt. I use a gel and have found it very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now