Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can you be triggered by small things?

(9 Posts)
SarcasmMode Fri 30-Dec-16 12:41:36

Just in my bedroom from youth and found some of my 13-14 year olds writings.

It's not that bad really but remembering more now as if blanked it. Feel a bit panicked so going to try and relax.

If it isn't too bad why had I forgotten it?

PandaPop55 Fri 30-Dec-16 13:26:34

Hi Sarcasm,

Sorry I dont really understand your post. Have you found something you wrote when you were younger? Definately tryinf to relax or distract yourself sounds like a good idea, if thinking about this is distressing you.

fallenempires Fri 30-Dec-16 13:30:33

Hello lovely!
I would say that yes finding certain things like that could be triggering especially if it a memory of an unhappy time in your life.

lollylou2876 Fri 30-Dec-16 13:32:05

It's because you are seeing your younger self, through adult eyes and are probably a very different person from the one that sat in your room.

SarcasmMode Fri 30-Dec-16 14:42:16

Not as much as I'd like to be lolly.

fallenempires Fri 30-Dec-16 14:58:41

What does that mean?

SarcasmMode Fri 30-Dec-16 17:00:00

I mean I'm not as different as I would like.

fallenempires Fri 30-Dec-16 18:07:52

What do you think that you would like to change or is it something that you do acknowledge but is outside your control?

AnxiousCarer Fri 30-Dec-16 18:10:22

That sounds like a big thing, definately enough to be a trigger. My councellor told me even something as innocious as a pack of biscuits can be a trigger in some circumstances, thats why supermarkets are notoriously bad for triggering anxiety and pannick attacks.

Also we forget a lot of things, I'm sure theres loads of things from my teenage years that I've forgotton, so it depends on the type of thing you are talking about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now