Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Why do I dread everyday tasks?

(6 Posts)
bellend123 Thu 29-Dec-16 15:11:09

Hi there, I have fairly recently recovered from an extremely severe episode of OCD and depression. I am now off all my meds, and all is good, no OCD or low moods anymore.

When I had OCD and depression I used to dread simple tasks because I knew they would lead to several if not hundreds of rituals. But now my OCD is gone I still dread everyday tasks and I don't know how to stop the feeling.

Just now I am dreading making dinner and giving the kids a bath. I try to tell myself that there's no point dreading stuff that has to be done, as I have to do it anyway so may as well get on with it.

So what do I do? I don't need antidepressants as I'm not depressed any more. Does anybody have any tips on how to cope with dreading life or any tips for motivation?

Wolfiefan Thu 29-Dec-16 15:13:28

That was part of my depression. CBT helped. I also balance stuff I dread with routine stuff I don't mind and stuff I enjoy. Did you come off the meds slowly and with medical supervision?

bellend123 Thu 29-Dec-16 15:22:32

Yeah I came off the meds slowly and my CPN is aware. Another issue I had is that my antidepressant was making me hypomanic which was fun at the time but now I have to get used to feeling just "normal" instead of having my mood elevated.

Wolfiefan Thu 29-Dec-16 15:25:58

Did you have any CBT?

fallenempires Thu 29-Dec-16 15:34:45

Hi!
I find that when I reach that stage I just have to write things down and then prioritise.I find that by doing it in little chunks helps if that makes sense.
Do you have anyone to help you at all?
My dcs are older now so although my load is lighter in many ways I still have days where I do struggle.
I accept that I'm not up to things if I'm really not and try to be kind to myself.

bellend123 Thu 29-Dec-16 16:50:38

Yeah I had some CBT a while ago but won't get a psychologist again I don't think.

Fallenempires that sounds like a good idea to write things down, I'll give that a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now