Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Why does depression affect personal hygiene

(6 Posts)
GhostlyAbode Thu 29-Dec-16 08:54:49

Title says it all really. Why does basic showering, grooming, washing clothes, even going to the loo when you know you need to become so difficult when suffering from depression.

It's like they don't need to be done or I just can't be bothered. I hate it but obviously don't hate it enough to do it?

summerblonde Thu 29-Dec-16 08:58:16

Lack of energy. Depression is like a weight holding you down.

Aroseforemily Thu 29-Dec-16 09:06:42

When you are depressed it's hard to do anything, the motivation is lacking.
Have you seen a GP?

fallenempires Thu 29-Dec-16 11:07:28

It's just the general cba of it all really isn't it? Are you experiencing the same with housework?

GhostlyAbode Fri 30-Dec-16 17:49:55

Yes to housework and other mundane things but I can get to work okay. It's just weird how only something's are affected even with huge motivation.

Being at work (financial services - lots of very smart women in suits) unwashed, with a tash and marked clothes seems so ridiculous. But I just can't be arsed however much I think about and talk to myself.

Yes am on the ole antidepressants which enable me to function but no be clean or house proud!

fallenempires Fri 30-Dec-16 18:04:16

Hahaha yes I can well imagine! It's really about getting the bare minimum done isn't it?Do you ever try to break things down & create small but achievable goals for yourself even if its a written must do list or reminders on your phone?
I find that for the most part that this approach helps me to focus somewhat but if I'm truthful there are days when I struggle to adhere to it.
Do you have a DH/P? If so how do they support you?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: