Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

DS Anxiety Problems but Dr reluctant to prescribe much

(12 Posts)
user1482875653 Tue 27-Dec-16 22:36:30

Hey, My DS is 19 been suffering from anxiety and stress at uni, finds it hard to go into lectures without getting panicked, his attendance is very low and has tried to explain to the Dr all of this he has been prescribed Mirtazapine but not helping much, has been back over four times and just ups the dosages even though hes not tolerating it well

NoMudNoLotus Tue 27-Dec-16 22:49:44

User as a senior mental health nurse I would say that mirtazepine is not the right choice of antidepressant for him - in all honesty if he's been back 4 times and the GP has not done anything apart from up the dose then he is not following NICE guidelines for the treatment of depression.

Please search for the guidelines yourself so that you are armed with the information you need - I would probably be asking for a referral to the mental health team too - some GP practices now have primary care mental health nurses attached to them - it's worth asking about this for your son as he may also need some psychological therapies to help with his anxiety 💐

NoMudNoLotus Tue 27-Dec-16 22:51:05

In fact if he's not tolerating it well and he's given it 4-6 weeks then it sounds like he really does need a switch in antidepressant .

summerblonde Tue 27-Dec-16 22:59:43

Can he see another GP?

DramaAlpaca Tue 27-Dec-16 23:05:44

My DS aged 19 found Effexor very effective for anxiety such as you describe. Of course it might not be suitable for your DS but for mine it worked well. He should go back to his GP and explain what he's currently on isn't working for him, and definitely ask to be referred to the mental health team who will be more clued up on treatments, services and medication than the average GP.

AnxiousCarer Tue 27-Dec-16 23:11:01

Has your DS got any support from uni? My uni had a free councelling service that was very helpful. Also my personal tutor was very supportive and I got some extended deadlines etc. And if hes given Mirtazapine a 6+ week try and its not working for him definately see if he can see a different GP.

ColletteMc Tue 27-Dec-16 23:12:51

I'll have a look for the guidelines, he gave him loads of Zolpidem to help with his sleep and just keeps issuing 28 at a time I think that it is like playing with fire him being on sleeping pills. It is a really large GP service so he could prob try and get an Dr but would they say the first one has to take control due to him "knowing" more about him personally

Jayfee Tue 27-Dec-16 23:15:52

definitely go to student services..counselling and advice on all aspects of anxiety etc

ColletteMc Tue 27-Dec-16 23:16:30

He said that his tutor sorted of fobed it off and thought he is just missing lectures due to being hungover or something like that, hes talked to the disability coordinator and she said you need loads of medical evidence to be able to get any adjustments or you could suspend your studies

AnxiousCarer Wed 28-Dec-16 00:11:40

He should be able to self refer to councelling through student services, would be worth speaking to someone at the students union, but both the GP (if its the uni practice) and his personal tutor should be able to provide him with the details. My GP wrote a letter to the uni which got me an extension on my disertation and also went to the exam board as evidence of mitigating circumstances. I would think he should be able to see a different GP in the practice, if they question it he can say he wants a second opinion. To be honest most practices I've been at its rare to see the same GP twice even forthe same condition.

summerblonde Wed 28-Dec-16 09:48:43

Well if that was my DD I wouldn't let them tell me I had to see the same GP who is clearly of no help. His University should be able to offer counselling, have a look at the student union/support services on his University website and see what is available. University us a massive step for some, especially if they come from a small town of village. It can be quite overwhelming.

dangermouseisace Wed 28-Dec-16 22:18:36

his GP should not be giving him so much zolpidem it sounds rather irresponsible.

I had depression/anxiety issues at uni and I found the uni counselling services very helpful- they did some CBT stuff with me and I didn't have to wait for long. You don't need medical evidence to get counselling. The disability co-ordinator probably won't be much use to him TBH re anxiety they should have signposted him to counselling instead.

Uni is quite a tough environment, it may well be that he has to suspend his studies until he gets himself together unless he manages to up his attendance soon. Many people have to do this though so it's not the end of the world!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: