Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

MH issues has made me pathetic and utterly selfish

(13 Posts)
Openup41 Fri 23-Dec-16 23:48:27

It has just dawned on me how utterly selfish I must appear to my close family. I have mood swings, snap, always tearful. I cannot be normal - no matter how hard I try. I envy people who think and act normally.

I hate myself for being that person who her dh does not understand and feels is over emotional. I hate being that person who becomes easily irritated by her children. I hate being that person who cannot tolerate mess of any kind. I hate being that person who does not understand herself.

fallenempires Sat 24-Dec-16 11:31:52

You sound very low.You do realise that this is the illness talking and not you?
What steps have you taken to try to help yourself?
Have you tried to talk with your DH about how you're feeling?

QuiltedAloeVera Sat 24-Dec-16 11:40:49

You aren't well.
Would you blame someone with a broken leg for not being able to walk?
Depression (assuming that is the problem) is not just a mental illness. It has physical effects too. It's a very common real thing, not a freakish character flaw.
Luckily, it is treatable. Different treatments work for different people, so you might have to try a few before you find the one that works for you (this is true of meds, but also talking therapies etc).
Your DH needs to educate himself so that he can support you better (and probably also feel better himself). There is a lot of help out there.

dangermouseisace Sat 24-Dec-16 19:07:14

DH sounds like he is just adding fuel to the fire. Have you spoken to anyone about this except for DH IRL?

Openup41 Sun 25-Dec-16 13:32:39

I have an appointment at the doctors in the New Year. I have to hold tight until then. I make everything worse just by existing.

Wolfiefan Sun 25-Dec-16 13:36:51

No you don't. Your illness makes everything worse for you. Maybe write things down or prepare what you will say to the GP. They can help. Honestly they can.

Openup41 Sun 25-Dec-16 17:43:51

I struggle to communicate my feelings to others, especially when they have offended me. It is so pathetic, I bring it up then start back tracking so as not to offend them.

Dh says I am cowardly as I cannot be direct with people. My being cowardly caused five years of misery at secondary school as I did nothing whilst the bullies made my life a misery. I never ever stood up for myself. I was scared of everyone ganging up on me.

mumonashoestring Sun 25-Dec-16 17:52:16

Ugh, your DH sounds like one of those awful pseudo-military 'toughen up' types. You can't make people bully you, they have to be nasty bullying shits to start with. And actually, at some schools, there is a culture where standing up for yourself does make things worse.

As for your DH not understanding you, he needs to work at that, you can't do it for him.

SallyInSweden Sun 25-Dec-16 17:59:54

It may well be that your husband says things in an u kind way... but "Stand up for yourself and be assertive" is actually good advices (although it is harder to put into practice).
If you asked him to help, would he?

fallenempires Sun 25-Dec-16 20:06:13

It's very easy for your DH to be saying that if he has never experienced this illness himself.It is difficult to stand up for yourself & be assertive if you are already struggling with all the other stuff such as even dragging yourself out of bed!

Openup41 Mon 26-Dec-16 16:21:25

I know. Difficult to understand when you do not suffer with particular issues.

fallenempires Mon 26-Dec-16 17:04:59

Yes it is! How are you feeling today did you manage to get through Xmas Day ok?

TheGoblinQueen2711 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:07:30

Openup41. I am that person too. You are not alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now