Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I enjoy feeling tired all the time

(9 Posts)
Iusedtobedontcall Fri 23-Dec-16 14:05:01

I have anaemia (or at least did on last check) hb was 8.9 I think. I've just had a course of b12 injections too. Just had another blood test and the next day got a letter asking me to make a docs appointment, so I highly suspect I am still anaemic. The thing is, I don't like taking my iron because I quite like getting into bed and sleeping at 8 pm every night. I'm managing to do the stuff I need to do and work etc. But it's so lovely to curl up and sleep and the anaemia makes me sort if pleasantly tired. I have had a bit of a horrid year and had my heart broken, so when I'm in bed I feel safe and warm and cosy. Like no one can hurt me. I am on anti depressants, so I am aware that this could be part of the issue. But could it be dangerous not to take my iron regularly? I don't feel too awful and obvs will see what the blood test says.

Lovemusic33 Fri 23-Dec-16 17:16:40

Of course it can be dangerous not to take them, if your iron gets too low you could end up needing a transfusion.

I know exactly what you mean though, I like feeling sleepy and have taken pills that make me feel sleepy on perpous to make me feel sleepy and to stop my mind wondering.

Sending you hugs, just had my heart broken and I'm on anti depressants, at the moment I would love to just sleep through the next few days ( or months ).

PurpleMcPants Fri 23-Dec-16 17:21:03

If you have pernicious anaemia causing your b12 deficiency then not getting replacement b12 can lead to permanent and irreversible neurological damage. It'd be frankly ridiculous to do that.

Of course it's nice and cosy and snuggly sometimes being in bed early and when you are permanent knackered it's a welcome relief to be there with no more demands on you.

PotteringAlong Fri 23-Dec-16 17:30:27

As long as you don't expect the NHS to fix you later on, you crack on.

Lovemusic33 Fri 23-Dec-16 17:51:14

Pottering hmm not helpful, op obviously knows it's not the right thing to do which is why she posted, I don't think it a uncommon thing though, for me being tired, sleeping more makes the days go faster meaning you have less time stressing and feeling depressed.

Iusedtobedontcall Fri 23-Dec-16 18:19:09

I do get my b12 jabs. Thanks pottering. Did I mention I have depression?

LilaoftheGreenwood Fri 23-Dec-16 18:27:00

Sorry if this sounds too obvious but can you take the meds and still have that sleeping pattern anyway? I know "sleeping too much" is perceived as one of the problems with depression and something to get away from, but I have come to see it as the body's way of repairing its mental systems. Nothing wrong with it if you're not affecting anyone else and you're not spending whole days in bed. You can have milky drinks and a bedtime routine to help you get down, and see it as a self-care thing you just have to do unless you are really sparkly and wide awake.

Iusedtobedontcall Fri 23-Dec-16 20:16:23

Yes maybe I could try. In the past intrusive thoughts have kept me awake and so it just feels really healthy ironically to sleep and sleep

OhTheRoses Wed 28-Dec-16 13:42:17

Could you take all your other meds and have something to help you sleep?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now