Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Counselling - hand hold and advice

(3 Posts)
wonderwoo Fri 23-Dec-16 09:20:05

Okay, so I have finally accepted that I must get some counselling: my emotional outbursts are affecting my children and I don't want to be that mum to them. I am full of shame over my behaviour, and worry and fear about how to get better.

I think that counselling will help me - I have lots of issues from the past that I probably need to work through. The problem is that I cannot afford private counselling, and having attempted nhs counselling in the past, I think it is not for me.

So, I am looking at low cost counselling, and am lucky that there are a number of places offering it fairly locally. BUT, I am nervous about having a trainee/inexperienced counsellor. The reason is that I have tried a few counsellors in the past, who were not great: one hardly paid attention to wait I was saying , and one I was alone with in a flat and I felt a bit creeped out.

I know that there are great counsellors out there, and a long time ago, I have had a couple of great ones. But how do I find one that I feel comfortable with, and who I will make progress with, rather than going once a week and finding things to say? I worry that this will be harder to find with low cost counselling, and I don't have money to try lots of different counsellors.

I guess, I am asking for some advice on how to find one that I can work well with, and please can I have some positive stories of counselling, (and low-cost counselling in particular) to give me some hope. At the moment I feel pretty hopeless and scared. But I know that the best christmas present I can give my kids is a better role model than I am now, and someone who is more emtionally stable. That is what I want.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Fri 23-Dec-16 09:51:43

Please do not be ashamed of what you are.
Most of us on these pages have some sort of mental health issues... (otherwise we would wander over to chat... ) You are not alone and you are not a bad person just because you afe a bit emotionaly wobbly

By way of context, my manic depresion is part of me, just like my astounding good looks (wishful thinking)! I am not prepared to be shamed into thinking I am less of a peson because I am a manic depressive.

Yes it is a pain and it has cost me a lot by way of isolation, loosing jobs and many other things. It has taken a long time to learn to live with myself. But in the end I don't want to be someone else... and by learning to love myself, my DP also loves me more.

AnxiousCarer Fri 23-Dec-16 12:22:50

I've found councelling very helpful. Mine has been through uni and through work, so not experienced NHS councelling or had to pay, I do know that the councellor I see through work also does NHS work, so I don't think that ythe councellors are necessarilly different or less experienced (mine is very experienced) but maybe the format offered hhasn't worked for you. Do you work and if so would they provide councelling. If not I think word of mouth is the best bet, followed by online reviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now