Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Health anxiety: please help!

(3 Posts)
user1482334903 Thu 22-Dec-16 14:36:57

Hi all,

Hoping some of you can give me some reassurance...

I have suffered with health anxiety on and off since the death of my mother 12 years ago. I am generally much better these days but something has really got me anxious this week and I cannot seem to stop catastrophising.

Basically my daughter had a small bruise on her lower abdomen which is still swollen a week later. The bruise itself has completely gone.

I have visited a few doctors this week in the hope of reassurance that it isn't a tumour/ lump. The first doctor told me they could see small swelling and that anything sinister wasn't "even on her list of thoughts". Most likely that it is either a lump from the injury or just the way my daughter is and only now I am noticing because of the bruise

The second doctor I seen told me there is "100 percent nothing wrong with her" even though I can still feel her tummy is slightly risen at the location where the bruise was. She gave her a very thorough examination but now I am still worrying incase she missed the swelling as she didn't even acknowledge it at all! It is there.

I would be interested to know if any of your children have had lumps/bumps a week or so following minor injuries? I'm starting to drive myself crazy with worry!!

Thank you so much xxxx

user1482334903 Thu 22-Dec-16 14:38:13

I should also point out that the second doctor I saw is the gp partner and the most experienced doctor at the surgery

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Thu 22-Dec-16 23:18:26

Know where you are coming from..

I have spent 18 months watching a very good friend die of a brain cancer. For the six months before he died, I was imagining every heacache into a tumour....

It is all to easy to imagine yourself into something bad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now