Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

My Dad dies of cancer and I constantly worry I have cancer now

(4 Posts)
user1482177776 Mon 19-Dec-16 22:08:45

My Dad died of cancer earlier this year. His liver was affected and the cancer eventually grew until it killed him. It was a very painful way for him to die and I feel so bad for him.

Now I worry that I've got cancer or will get it. It's always on my mind.

It's somewhat irrational but I can't stop the thoughts.

thatcoldfeeling Mon 19-Dec-16 22:34:12

I was like this after I lost a family member to cancer 3 years ago. Am still hyper aware and it is always my first thought. I had period pains the other day and had talked myself into believing I had ovarian cancer.

It is a form of health anxiety, and a referral from your GP may help (Though I have found the depression and anxiety service a bit rubbish others have had better experiences).

pud1 Mon 19-Dec-16 22:37:52

I have no wise words but wanted to tell you that I could have written your op. I have convinced myself that I have overian cancer. Gp referred me to have a scan even though he knew I hadn't got it. He new both my parents history so understood my fear

SendARavenToRiverRun Mon 19-Dec-16 22:49:37

It's a form of health anxiety. Your GP might be able to help? My mum died, of cancer just over a year ago. I spend hours googling every symptom, real or not, that I ever get all all lead to cancer. It's shit and I wish I had the guts to tackle it.
flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now