Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Psilocybin ('magic') mushrooms for depression, anxiety, PTSD, addiction

(6 Posts)
mushroommum Mon 19-Dec-16 10:20:55

Hi all,

I'm an avid user to psilocybin mushrooms, and wondered if anyone else here uses them? I feel they have significantly improved my mood and outlook on life.

Some recent research using mushrooms to treat anxiety and depression experienced by people with advanced cancer: www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/01/magic-mushroom-ingredient-psilocybin-can-lift-depression-studies-show

Petition to relegalise mushrooms (they were legal in the UK until 2005): psychedelicsociety.org.uk/petitions/relegalise-mushrooms

Ta,
Liz

TFPsa Mon 19-Dec-16 11:37:10

I've used them on a recreational basis, many moons ago.

Good luck to you if you've had some positive results but I would be highly, highly skeptical about their benefits for treating someone suffering from MH, they're not for the faint of heart.

dangermouseisace Mon 19-Dec-16 17:24:26

I did mushrooms when they were still legal. The final time I took them I was the Virgin Mary, saw Adam and Eve and the tree of life on the wooden bathroom floor where I was hugging the toilet (puking). Then scary faces were coming out of the walls for hours and I was petrified. I'd had a few positive experiences before but after that never again. I'm in favour of legalisation of all drugs, but I feel people with MH probs need to be extremely careful.

DancingHouse Tue 20-Dec-16 19:00:12

I use them in small/microdoses to lift my moods. Not enough for any trippy visuals but just enough for the giggles. I always feel a lot happier for a while afterwards.

VoyageOfDad Tue 20-Dec-16 19:08:45

I used them in my early 20's for full on, out in nature trips.

I used them again in lower doses in my 30's once or twice a year.

I've read / heard the reports and it makes sense to me.

I think they offer a bit of a re-set. They certainly changed my perspective on life when I first used them.

I also extensively used floatation tanks which had a not dissimilar effect in terms of uplifting long lasting effects.

BBCNewsRave Wed 21-Dec-16 21:22:46

"Avid user" sounds a little concerning... remember these things ned to be handled with care.
Was thinking about this subject today. I've found them helpful i that I felt more at peace with things and sort of felt I understood more and the happy benevolent feeling lasted several days. I also (more often) enjoyed the comedown from a small amount of MDMA - once the buzz had passed, with friends and much chat, I liked to be alone and would perhaps have a little therapeutic cry but always had insights into things that stayed with me permanently.
However, being thoughtful and pondering the big questions and the change in perspective that can result from mushrooms and other drugs, is not necessarily massively helpful unless everyone on the planet has the same experience! In general in my life the things that have made me feel, um... enlightened (sorry, sounds twatty) also make me feel separate from most other humans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now