Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

OCD coping techniques

(5 Posts)
Littlemissanxietyandocd Sun 18-Dec-16 14:32:13

I've had a GAD and up until recently it was pretty manageable with beta blockers but recently I haveat developed some awful OCD tendencies including picking at my skin causing myself damage I have been do my Dr and have been put in sertraline but was wondering if anyone new of coping techniques I can try as I have unfortunately made a right mess of my face with the compulsive picking and scratching

BetterEatCheese Sun 18-Dec-16 15:37:36

This was me a year ago - I did some research on skin picking disorder and managed to stop. There are great books out which explore the reasons. I did it for 20 years though and it was a release.

Littlemissanxietyandocd Sun 18-Dec-16 17:42:07

Thank you I will look into the books I really want to stop as I'm making myself bleed and causing scabs the compulsion is just to stong and the anxiety when I don't is horrendous hopefully with the tablets and any books I can find it can stop it

BetterEatCheese Sun 18-Dec-16 21:22:17

I hope you can, I remember the feeling, still pick occasionally but can limit the area / extent better now. I remember the horror trying to cover up what I had done with make up. Everyone thought I had really bad acne and I told my friends in the end that it was me damaging my face and they were shocked but supportive and that helped me stop too as I knew they would know what I had done

Littlemissanxietyandocd Sun 18-Dec-16 21:53:31

Thanks I am lucky I have really supportive friends and family so hopefully can beat this soon! I have the sertraline too which should help with the GAD which they Dr things is causing it just need for the side effects to stop now lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now