Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram does it get easier?

(17 Posts)
ProbablyMe Fri 25-Nov-16 12:00:07

I'm on day 2 of Citalopram to help with depression. Also started on Propranolol for anxiety symptoms. I was very worried about the initial side effects of the Citalopram but my GP said they were very rare however yesterday and today I've felt nauseous and today I also feel more anxious/bad thoughts than ever and I also feel as if I am buzzing all over. Is this normal? Will it go away if I persist with the tablets? It's making functioning very hard which isn't ideal with a 6 month old and other children too.

ineedwine99 Fri 25-Nov-16 12:01:59

Hi, i had the nausea to start, was about a week i think for it settle down, i'm on 20mg. I didn't have the buzzing though. Hope you feel better soon

Luckyaide Fri 25-Nov-16 12:08:12

Try and stick with it, I had similar side effects, which after 2-3 weeks settled down. I was advised that if things were worse after a week to go back to GP. It was. Veeery hard time. I found the MIND website really useful as well as doing anything I could to distract myself. Hope you feel much better soonflowers

tkband3 Fri 25-Nov-16 12:08:54

I'm on day 6 of taking Citalopram for anxiety depression, specifically because I have really bad anxiety about vomiting. The doctor told me that I might lost my appetite for a week or so, but particularly assured me that I would not experience nausea. Within a very short time of taking my first pill I was feeling nauseous and more anxious and panicky about it.

Yesterday (having taken my first dose on Sunday) I started feeling a bit better, but have been feeling a bit rubbish today again (although that is likely to be because DD3 went to school with a bad tummy ache - I did tell her she could stay home, but she wanted to go in). I have been assured that it will get better very soon.

Hope your side effects settle down soon and that we both start to feel the benefits as soon as possible!

custardy Fri 25-Nov-16 12:10:02

I felt weird and sicky for about a week, i don't notice anything now.

Mari50 Sun 27-Nov-16 20:20:00

I was taking citalopram for about 4-5 months, side effects do seem to change with time. I had excessive yawning and tiredness initially, mentally I felt good however I developed joint pain and stiffness, memory loss and twitching eye muscles so I've tapered off. Think I'm done with ssri's as I had similar side effects with sertraline and fluoxetine did nothing for me. Find the withdrawal a total nightmare as well (sorry to throw that in).
I will reiterate that mentally citalopram and sertraline did a lot for me but I couldn't cope with the side effects, the initial side fx do change though and hopefully you'll settle in a few weeks and won't get anymore. Good luck x

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 27-Nov-16 20:22:39

I felt high and sick for about the first week.

TheCakes Sun 27-Nov-16 20:23:36

Citalopram really didn't agree with me. I stuck it out for about six weeks, but I felt awful the whole time. Nauseous, jittery, detached from reality, jaw clenching, you name it.
BUT I switched to Sertaline and felt better almost instantly. I've been on them two years, with no issues unless I miss doses.
Just shows, we're all different.

MisterT373 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:09:29

I was on Citalopram for a month and felt side effects but no improvement in my mental state - side effects included insomnia, nausea and night sweats. I went back to the GP and was put on Escitalopram which I had taken 6 years ago - there were some initial side effects when I started and again when I upped my dose but I am much flatter emotionally now than I was. GPs wont prescribe Escitalopram as its more expensive .

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 28-Nov-16 11:13:59

I had that too OP, so I took my pills at night before sleep. They also made me drowsy. It all wore off after about 10 days.

Hope you're ok?

GooodMythicalMorning Mon 28-Nov-16 11:19:54

It does honestly get better. It took about 6 weeks for me but they've really improved my life.

GooodMythicalMorning Mon 28-Nov-16 11:21:01

I still take mine at night, if I take them day time I feel queasy for about an hour after but night time much better.

Irritatedmama Mon 28-Nov-16 11:26:44

I've been on them for 3 weeks. The nausea is beginning to subside, as is the feeling of being on a major caffeine high. I still feel exhausted though and my memory is shot. DH says I'm less short but I think that's because I feel too tired and lethargic to bother.

zofranks Mon 28-Nov-16 21:39:31

I was on citalopram for quite a while, the side effects to start were dreadful but I realised if I took my dose at bedtime the nausea didn't affect me, I did however though suffer from very bad headaches from the teeth grinding and the buzzing and dizziness never left, i personally hated it and found it very hard to come off it, it took a long while of weaning myself off it and I can't say as it was right for me but I know plenty of other people who swear by it - good luck I hope it helps

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 28-Nov-16 23:32:17

Citalopram sent me crazy. I was having crazy dreams with body jerking, my skin felt like it was on fire and I had the worst anxiety ever. Had to come off it.

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Nov-16 23:34:37

Yes it did get better for me. I really struggled with it but it did help me. Try and persevere and if it gets too bad see your GP. DON'T just stop suddenly.
Just so you know I managed to get off it again and life is much better now. Did CBT which also helped. Hope you feel better soon OP.

Middleoftheroad Mon 28-Nov-16 23:52:14

I've been on both of those meds since July and they have had no impact on my anxiety. I'm at 20mg citralopram and have never felt any side effects - probably as I feel immune to the bloody things.

Just decided to completely stop five days ago. I feel no different, which proves to me they have had no impact on my mh.

I'm still stuck with my hopeless anxiety and insomnia but the pills were pointless for me. Gutted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now