Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Going to doctor

(11 Posts)
SciFiG33k Tue 22-Nov-16 17:27:06

Is it better to go to the doctor with a written down list of symptoms relating to anxiety and depression or to just go in and ramble. I already panic when going to the doctor when sick and forget stuff, talk rubbish etc. Its going to be worse with this. I really have no idea where to start and am panicking at even the idea at phoning for an appointment.

Toocleverbyhalf2 Tue 22-Nov-16 17:59:59

Hi, I've been through this.
I was lucky as I had a good GP who helped me through it. I wished I had written a list though, that makes it easier to understand, and psychiatrists actively encourage it. Can someone go with you? You shouldn't have to go through this alone & it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of. You're ill & need medical help.
My best wishes go with you and I hope you can get the help you need flowers

helpnc Tue 22-Nov-16 18:03:17

Yes, I took a typed list, and showed it to the GP after we'd talked in case I'd forgotten anything. She just read it fairly quickly and nodded - I think they leave the in-depth stuff to counsellors.

flowers it's going to be ok. They'll listen, honest.

Toocleverbyhalf2 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:20:30

It helps them write a referral to mental health services if you've written down how you're feeling ( in my experience)
As the other poster said, don't worry they'll listen.

SciFiG33k Tue 22-Nov-16 22:46:05

Thank you so much for the helpful and supportive replies. I have written down how I'm feeling and booked an appointment for two hours from now so I won't spend too much time stressing in advance. However currently feeling very nauseous and visibly shaking with anxiety.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 23-Nov-16 05:06:43

How did it go?

From the time of your post, I am assuminng you are not in the UK ...?

helpnc Wed 23-Nov-16 07:35:54

Hope it went ok flowers

SciFiG33k Wed 23-Nov-16 08:10:44

No im not in the UK.
It went much better than I expected. I think mostly because I had it on paper what I needed to say and I only had a short time to stress before the appointment.
The doctor has prescribed escitalopram (hadn't heard of it before, but have the information sheets on it) and well as giving me a referral to a counsellor who ill call tomorrow to make an appointment with. Have another appointment with doctor in 4 weeks.
Trying not to worry about medication side effects which sound exactly how I already feel when my anxiety is bad.

helpnc Wed 23-Nov-16 08:17:33

So glad to hear that smile

Yes, most medications unfortunately can make your condition "worse" for a short time, that might happen. (Equally it might not, it's all a bit of a gamble based on your unique brain chemistry.)

But hopefully within 4-6 weeks you'll notice a difference, which you wouldn't have done otherwise. There's some hope at the end of the tunnel (or so I'm firmly hoping for myself).

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 23-Nov-16 08:47:54

SciFi

Happy for you it went well,

Please remember that if/when you start to feel better.... it is because of your meds. But they are not like antibiotics that work and you stop taking them. This is a management not a cure situation. You need to continue taking them all the time. If you stop, the symptoms that have prompted you to see the doctor may return.

Don't be alarmed about being stuck on meds forever..

I had citralopram for a while back in about 2008. After about a uear I decided. that I wanted a different medication and weened myself off over a period of three months. I was then given a mood stabiliser which has worked very well since.

Good luck and keep posting as they start to take effect. There are plenty here who have been through it and can hold your hand.

SciFiG33k Thu 24-Nov-16 05:33:57

Thank you both for your kind words. I shall keep what you have said in mind. Had my first dose this morning and work went OK for half the day at leas pity about the afternoon. Thankfully its over for another day and I'm at home having fun with my DSD.

Helpnc how long have you been on your meds for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now