Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to support someone with (I assume) health anxiety?

(4 Posts)
FaithAscending Sat 19-Nov-16 16:47:26

DH has always had health anxiety, paranoid about chronic health issues but it's never been a huge issue. Recently it has taken over. Only one definite symptom that anything is wrong but he is so anxious he's literally convinced himself he's dying. I pushed him to go to the GP and he has. He's getting bloods done and then being reviewed. He's also got the paperwork to start counselling. Doctor had suggested ADs but needs to check they won't interfere with a medication he's taking.

I'm finding it difficult to be supportive if I'm honest. I have chronic pain which is being investigated myself. I'm pretty certain he's ok really but he's very defeatist about doing anything because he's convinced he won't be here soon....how do I support him without either exacerbating the problem or dismissing how he feels? Any advice?

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sat 19-Nov-16 23:50:20

Tell him to come here....
He will not be the only man in the place..I will be happy to chat to him.

As to feeling like he is going to die... Yes that does often happen if he is unwell with something else.. and the worse of it is that whilst unwell, unlike a good old hangover... you can't see any perspective other than illness....

Wolfiefan Sat 19-Nov-16 23:52:11

Don't dismiss his feelings. They may seem stupid and daft to you but they are still how he feels.
I find it helpful to be reassured. GP is looking into it. Tests all done. They will
Work out a treatment plan if you need one. Likely to be something really innocuous. (But that's just me!)

FaithAscending Sun 20-Nov-16 08:01:29

Thanks for the replies. I could suggest MN but I think he sees it as 'mine' because I've been here so long. I'm trying not to be dismissive but try to pull the thinking back a bit, e.g. If he thinks he's got liver failure, I'll suggest that if he does, based on his symptoms it's early stages. I hope the blood test results reassure him. I did also say that even if it is worst case scenario, he needs to make the most of life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now