Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to differentiate..

(9 Posts)
lananzack Fri 18-Nov-16 22:20:22

How do you know if you're just feeling really shitty constantly because your life is currently a big fat mess, or you're actually in a state of clinical depression and need to seek help?

I can't decide which it is with me at the moment, what are some differentiating factors I can consider to put it into perspective?

lananzack Fri 18-Nov-16 22:21:50

Clinical should say chemical.

lananzack Fri 18-Nov-16 22:22:19

Or should it? Lol! Either way makes sense I suppose.

cattastic Sat 19-Nov-16 07:34:32

Simple way to check is to change your life and lifestyle and see if your mood improves.

out4thecount Sat 19-Nov-16 11:24:11

You could try completing the DASS questionnaire which looks at the difference between depression, anxiety and stress

www.depression-anxiety-stress-test.org/take-the-test.html

However it's no substitute for talking to your GP or a psychologist for a proper opinion on how you're feeling. I hope you start to feel better soon.

lananzack Sat 19-Nov-16 13:12:14

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately cattastic I'm in one of those positions where I can't drastically change much at the moment. I try to get out for walks and I eat healthily anyway, that's as much as can be done for my situation sad

The test is telling me I'm severely all 3! I don't think I'm that bad lol! Will book with GP anyway.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sat 19-Nov-16 19:35:24

I would suggest it makes little difference if your life is a mess where you can't do much about it, (or can't see a way to do very much) and if you are naturally depressive.

Until you can change your life, you are stuck sith the triggers that are tending towards depression. Meds can't address the things in your life that are causing stress, but they can induce a fuzzy mood of being out of touch so you din't notice them so much. Of course, the problem there is the meds will probably stop you being able to address the stress issues in your life.

AnxiousCarer Mon 21-Nov-16 11:34:32

I agree with different that it makes little difference the cause, glad you are going to see GP. I would disagree thst meds will necessarily stop you being able to address the stresses. They could well just get you through this bad patch, or get you to a point where you are able to deal with these stresses more easily. I've always found councelling alongside meds works best for me.

Tumtitum Mon 21-Nov-16 11:39:38

Clinical depression has biological symptoms such as early morning wakening, poor sleep generally, loss of appetite, lack of energy. Other symptoms could include anhedonia (not enjoying things you would normally enjoy doing), feeling hopeless, like life isn't worth living etc (not saying that you're not depressed unless your suicidal though!). Definitely worth seeing your GP, even if it's not "clinical" depression some CBT might help you to change your way of thinking about life events/situations or how you cope with things, or antidepressants may just get you over a hump so to speak and help you cope a little better. I work in mental health so hope that's helpful. Hope you feel better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now