Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Laziness or depression?

(8 Posts)
Todayiamsad Fri 18-Nov-16 09:01:38

I wanted to post for advice, I have considered visiting the doctor but I do not want to waste a gps time.

Apart from a frequent recurring often most days for the last two weeks headache there is nothing else wrong with me.
I am well overdue a eye test and am going for one on Sunday to rule that out. If I don't need glasses I will visit the GP as its getting very frequent actually daily.

Over the last two months I have had no get up and go.
I am self employed and business is always slow this time of year, so I have more time to get things done round the house.

I do the daily essential talks for myself / child and pets but ive found over the last couple of weeks unless it is essential and not for my child who is 10, I won't do it.

I recently lost weight and felt really good about myself, I found the more effort I put in the better I felt. This has completely stopped. Also pilling back the weight by eating rubbish as I can't be bothered to make healthy snacks / food for myself as too much effort is required. The reason I'm actually posting is I've realised today how bad it is with the fact I've not showered for 9 days. I stink. Yet I still wanted to put it off.

This week my friend dropped by unannounced, it was the middle of the day and I was home alone in my pjs. I saw who it was by the peephole felt excited then immediately thought I couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone, my house was a mess as I've not hoovered for two weeks and there were shoes all over the hallway as I hadn't been bothered to clear them up.

I just don't want to do anything, every task I'm due to do I think oh il do it tomorrow but tomorrow rarely comes.

I've got a good home life no issues. My DH has noticed a change in me and asked what's up and I can only give a reason of "I'm miserable" but no reason to why. I honestly have no idea where this has come from.
Can you be depressed when there is no reason to be? Sorry if that sounds silly but I am absolutely clueless when it comes to this.

If you think it's just pure laziness on my part just say as I would like to know the honest truth.

AnxiousCarer Fri 18-Nov-16 13:04:00

Yes absolutely you can be depressed for no apparent reason, you definately don't sound lazy. I think a visit to the GP sounds like a good idea regardless of what the optician finds.

Crystal15 Sun 20-Nov-16 17:20:54

You could have low iron or b12 or d3. Blood tests would be first port of call

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 20-Nov-16 22:31:38

If there was a magic fairy who could wave a wand and make everyone better... She would have a lot of work with all of us who get depressed...

As Anxious says, you can get depressed.. the bugger of it is you can't even point the finger at catching it from someone like a cold.. Please see your GP.. It is probably good to ask for a long appointment..

Todayiamsad Mon 21-Nov-16 08:02:04

Thanks for your replies. I saw the optician yesterday bad explained about the headaches and I do need glasses for distance. I knew this had recently changed as I was struggling with online gaming but I only play this occasionally. I don't drive so it's not really impacting my daily life but would be beneficial.

I will try and get a call back from the doctor as appointments are hard to get.

Over the last few days I've noticed whatever paracetamol/ pain killers I take it doesn't shift it. They do seem to be linked to my mood. If I'm out and about it goes, at home it's dreadful. But getting out is hard as I'm having to force myself but I've also cancelled plans this weekend as I couldn't face seeing people.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 21-Nov-16 09:03:00

Sad,

Picking up on your comments...Are you experiencing SAD? Is your home bright and ovely lit or dark and cosy... (read depressive)

EllenRipley Mon 21-Nov-16 09:12:50

What Crystal said... low B12, D and/or iron/ferritin could easily explain how you're feeling. Get tested as first port of call and make sure an iron test covers ferritin (iron stores) and ask for the results. In my experience ferritin below 40 (still in 'normal' range) can make you feel crap. So can borderline normal levels of D and B12. How are your hormones? Are you near meno? It's also the time of year that folk can be affected by SAD. You need to discuss all these things with your doc, if everything is normal then you might be depressed, it can creep up on you! Don't panic, your body is trying to tell you something x

Todayiamsad Mon 21-Nov-16 09:26:26

I've been taking multivitamin with extra iron from when I was dieting. Low carb, I brused easily previously so thought that could help. No longer no carbing, that hasn't helped as soon as I stopped that this started. Felt so much get up and go whilst on it.

My house is very bright, natural light.

I'm 30, so don't think it would be menopause.

I will give all the facts to the doctors. Friday was too much for me, headache turned into I think a migraine. Felt sick, was shopping at the time and the sounds and light was like sensory overload. Felt better after just lying down in the dark with my eyes closed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now