Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

To increase Mirtazapine dose or not?

(8 Posts)
AnxiousCarer Thu 17-Nov-16 23:08:36

That is the question my GP has asked me. I've been on it 2 weeks now and feel a little better, not having any particular side effects or problems. GP has said she is happy to increase the dose or keep it the same, its up to me. But not sure how I'm supposed to know. Will discuss it with CPN at next appointment, just wondering what others experiences had been.

cattastic Fri 18-Nov-16 07:48:01

What dose are you on now? I'm on 45 and have no side effects apart from slight increase in appetite. If you need it take it!!

AnxiousCarer Fri 18-Nov-16 12:59:09

Thanks, I'm on 15mg, just don't know how I know if I need to increase it. I'm feeling slightly better but only been on it 2 weeks and I know it takes time to kick in fully.

MrGrumpy01 Fri 18-Nov-16 22:19:17

I did a month at 15mg then a month at 30mg and I am now on my 3rd packet at the full 45mg. I am feeling a lot better on the 45mg (no longer having suicidal thoughts so pretty good on that front). I am 2 wks through the 45mgs and I think my plan is to have at least another month on that if not more.

I've not experienced too many side effects - increased appetite a bit (and associated weight gain) but that was worse as I was at home so just picked all day, and I sleep a lot, but that is good. Over 4.5 yrs of really poor sleep (dreadful sleeping child followed by dreadful sleep pattern) had really taken its toll, so I am glad to be wiped out slightly by it.

1happyhippie Fri 18-Nov-16 22:24:18

I started out on 15mg, then increased to 30mg. Increased again to 45mg, but have since come back down to 30mg.
I have been on the 30mg now for about 12 month.
I agree, do what you feel you need.

dangermouseisace Sat 19-Nov-16 11:49:11

If you feel a bit better there is nothing wrong in staying on the dose you are on and seeing if things continue to improve or whether you need to increase in another couple of weeks...

LittleMissUpset Sat 19-Nov-16 12:06:56

I started on 15mg and started to feel better after a couple of weeks, doctor said to try 30mg and I can always go back down.

I tried 30mg for 3 weeks but it was too much for me, I felt really jittery and not myself, so I went back down.

There's no harm trying it, but if if doesn't work you can go back down.

I'm glad I tried, and I know to stick at 15mg.

pinkdonkey Mon 21-Nov-16 11:14:27

Thank you everyone for your input. Was thinking of trying 30mg, discussed with DH, who thinks it would be better to stay at 15mg as after 3 weeks I'm already noticably putting on weight dispite being very active. He has a similar problem on his meds and has put on a huge ammount of weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now