Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Do I have anxiety/depression

(6 Posts)
userblahblahblah Thu 17-Nov-16 12:04:52

I don't know where to start. I am a thinker, I overthink a lot.

I am pretty sure I had PND after the very traumatic birth of ds. I think I should have gone and got some counselling but I hid it and tried to cure myself. It took a long time for me to bond with my baby it was not instant, but I did and now have a great relationship with him. I then had another ds but the birth was not so bad and I bonded instantly with him. A nurse at the surgery suggested I had counselling and possibly anti depressants a couple of years ago but I turned them down as I didn't think I was depressed but now I wonder.

Over the years though I think I have developed anxiety, I even name change on here pretty much every week as I am paranoid someone will recognise me even though I only usually post on inane threads.

I mainly worry about the kids, I feel panicked if they are out of my sight and they age they are now they need independence. Also when something gets into my head it stops me sleeping and it's like an ear worm in my head that won't go away, it is usually to do with the health of the kids.

I spend a lot of time wondering if I am happy, how do I know I am happy. My relationship with dh is not great and I worry about that. I do get tired, I get snappy and angry quickly but I don 't know if that's just life.

I was thinking of making a gp appointment but I don't want to waste their time. I don't know what to say or what I am even asking for. I have debated about writing this post for months but I have always been worried someone will know it's me, but I just read an article on mental health and i just thought I should post. I have lots of RL friends but I am not good at confiding in people.

AnxiousCarer Thu 17-Nov-16 16:47:52

I don't think you would be wasting your GPs time at all. You could always print out this post to take with you, ifyour not sure what to say. They will probably get you to fill in a questionairre to screen for anxiety and depression. You can find these screens online too if you feel like you would like to look at thembfirst and can always print out your answers to take with you.

I would say the fact that you are askingvthis question probably makes a visit to your GP to discuss it furthur a good idea, especially if your anxiety is affecting your daily life and that of your children.

LuckyBitches Fri 18-Nov-16 16:42:10

Hi OP,

Fellow anxiety sufferer here - I would definitely go to your GP. It sounds like you're suffering from anxiety, nothing to be ashamed of and very fixable.

You don't need to suffer this - anxiety is horrible.

flowersflowersflowers

HowTheFuckDoIDoThis Fri 18-Nov-16 19:11:21

Hiya. You are never wasting your GP's time if you have concerns about your health.

It certainly sounds like you are dealing with anxiety.
Make an appointment on monday and speak to your GP. In the meantime, you could always look up on mindfulness and positive mental attitude. These are great for anxiety. My CPN pointed me in that direction

Cinnamon2013 Fri 18-Nov-16 19:25:34

Agree with the others, do go to the GP. They are there for your mental as well as your physical health. If you find the first GP doesn't get what you're saying or isn't sympathetic, ask to see someone else. Unlikely but I speak from experience. Good luck x

pklme Fri 18-Nov-16 20:04:40

I have been taken seriously when I've been to the GP in similar situation. Best to go, you will feel a lot better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now