Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fed up of feeling low

(7 Posts)
EnFlique Wed 16-Nov-16 22:36:22

That's just it really.
I've suffered with depression on and off for at least 8 years. Taken anti depressants on and off too. First 2 times it was citalopram and this time I started on citalopram and was switched to sertraline.
I'm now taking 150mg of sertraline and have been for about 8 months.

I have some good days, but as soon as there's nothing to occupy me I feel so low.
I don't know what it is that makes me feel like this, I'm just empty. I want to hibernate.

I have a dd aged 5 and I work. If it weren't for that I would honestly just sleep and sleep and sleep.

I've tried counselling this year which was great but the effects seem to have worn off.

I am overweight and struggling to lose it as I comfort eat and don't have a lot of energy. I enjoy going to the gym but as a single working parent I just don't have the chance.

I'm feel dark inside. I'm going to have to go back to the doctors but I hate relying on tablets to feel semi normal.
I don't know if anyone can offer any advice, or maybe just a hand hold?

AnxiousCarer Thu 17-Nov-16 09:50:46

Hi flowers,

some people take insulin every day to keep them well, with others its things like ADs, theres no shame in it. On the otherhand if you are still feeling so low on the sertraline maybe its not working well for you and would be worth discussing with your GP if there is something better for you as not all ADs work for everyone. Also some increase your appetite, which won't help if you are struggling with your weight so that is worth discussing too. If the councelling helped, then maybe thats worth another go, or possibly CBT, your GP can refer for this too althoygh the wait is often long on NHS.

Knightridergirl Thu 17-Nov-16 10:12:03

Hi OP,

I can suggest a couple things that have worked for me but before trying it please do research them yourself too to see if they're things you might want to try.

First up, for a non-drug approach SAFFRON TEA! Literally a few threads of pure saffron in a hot water and drink 2-3 times a day. Research has shown that the effects of drinking Saffron tea are just as effective as anti-depressants.
I am personally going through a 'non-drug' trial in all aspects of my life as I'm fed up of the negative side-effects of drugs, this is including contraception. It's taken a while but I'm glad to say that my body is drug-free and I use nutritional and herbal alternatives to cure ailments.

Secondly, for the weight-loss, I'm like you; I just don't have enough time to exercise and I have found this method to work well: Raw Garlic and warm Lemon water every morning! It takes some discipline and it is an acquired taste but if you can stomach it and find a way then you WILL see benefits to this, not just for weight loss but for overall health too. (At first I used to coat the chopped garlic in honey to hide the garlic taste but I'm used to it now!)

Please do 'google' my suggestions if you like them and I do hope you feel better soon flowers

EnFlique Thu 17-Nov-16 14:50:00

Thank you for the replies.
I'll take another trip to my GP soon when I can get an appointment with the nice one.

Does the garlic really work? I don't want to stink and have no benefit hah, how does it help?

dangermouseisace Thu 17-Nov-16 22:05:17

have you thought about running enflique. When I worked it was about the only thing I could fit in with children as you literally do it from your door/can do it during lunch break/run to work etc. Or have kid on bike on cycle path, and mum running. Or cycling…any possibility of cycling to work? Sometimes these things aren't possible of course, but they are often easier than getting to the gym.

I think exercise, of some sort, is essential to MH.

EnFlique Sat 19-Nov-16 12:16:39

I have a treadmill and tell myself I'm going to use it daily, but by the time I get home, dd sorted etc I'm so knackered I can't be bothered. Had considered getting up at 6 and doing it before work but not sure if it would disturb the neighbours

dangermouseisace Sat 19-Nov-16 15:57:49

I suppose you could always ask your neighbour if they can hear the treadmill from inside their house, and whether it would disturb them. It's good that you've got the means to run and do childcare at the same time! Multitasking!

If it is possible at all, being outdoors exercising is meant to be ideal- but often it isn't due to time constraints. I can go out in a bad mood, not wanting to, but then notice stuff like the leaves, the sensation of the sun/wind/rain/wet grass/stinging nettles...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now