Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

When to get help and where....

(5 Posts)
PinkfluffySlippers63 Mon 14-Nov-16 15:56:26

For the past few weeks I've been feeling increasingly miserable and low. Perhaps I'm depressed I don't know - perhaps I'm suffering from SAD. I'm having problems with my DD (12) and DH (69) plus I'm no longer working which is making me feel v lonely.

Should I go to my GP ? Should I just go to a counsellor - perhaps Relate? Should I contact Mind? How low do you have to get before getting help ?
(I did once see a counsellor to discuss anxiety (he was recommended by the GP) but it was SO awful and counsellor seemed so anxious that it was actually funny)

Really hope someone can advise. Thank you x

AnxiousCarer Mon 14-Nov-16 20:43:56

Hi pink

Yes I would go to your GP, to paraphrase my CPN 'when you start to ask yourself if you need to ask for help, then you probably do' You dont need to wait till things get worse to ask for help. The GP may offer to refer to councelling, there will probably be a long and finding someone privately will be a lot quicker if you can afford it.

PinkfluffySlippers63 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:10:21

Thank you AC. I think you're right a trip to the GP is probably required. (Just don't want to waste his time though)
Out of interest what is CPN. (Community Practice Nurse???)
Thanks again

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 14-Nov-16 21:39:57

If you don't visit him at the drop of a hat...she will understand (see what I did there?) the need to listen... It may be a good idea to ask for a long appointment?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

obilisk2016 Tue 15-Nov-16 10:52:00

Trip to the GP would be well in order as a place to start but beware of the "I'll give you some of these antidepressants" there is absolutely a place for them but some GPs are a bit eager/time limited.
You've been thinking about your condition already and mentioned a few possible factors of which some combination is likely a factor. A limited series of CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) may help you identify what are your triggers and then you can take advice on how to move forward ie. Relate, Gym, getting outdoors, counselling. In some areas CBT is available online or by phone - GP will know - otherwise the wait can be long. I found some self help books helpful, but you need to find one that "talks" to you
Wishing you success :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now