Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please offer me a grip?

(20 Posts)
helpnc Thu 10-Nov-16 19:36:05

I've just started anxiety medication.

My biggest anxiety, which is taking over my life, is being allergic to things and my throat swelling up and killing me - which (ironically) is why I've put off the medication for years.

I swallowed the stuff half an hour ago and feel very scared, very trembly - this is just panic, right? I'd know if I was going to have a bad reaction by now wouldn't I?

helpnc Thu 10-Nov-16 19:42:05

Bumping just in case - sorry if this annoys anyone

TommyandGina Thu 10-Nov-16 19:42:14

This does sound like you panicking, I'm pretty sure if you were going to gave a reaction it would have happened by now.

Have you got some grounding techniques you can try? Go and make yourself a warm sweet drink and do something (anything) to occupy your mouth nod a little.

Well done on taking the first steps, these medications usually are very effective.

KittyandTeal Thu 10-Nov-16 19:42:24

It's definitely the anxiety.

Do you know any breathing exercises you can do for a while? If not there is a brilliant app called calm.com that does breathing and relaxation exercises.

Well done for taking them, that must have taken a huge amount of bravery. You will start feeling better after a few doses.

TommyandGina Thu 10-Nov-16 19:43:45

Typos and autocorrect errors galore!

Do something to occupy yourself a little was what I meant to say hmm

helpnc Thu 10-Nov-16 19:44:11

X-post - thank you both flowers

I'm making some tea now. Will look up that app too and grounding things

TommyandGina Thu 10-Nov-16 20:13:30

Well done, I'll pop back later and see how you're doing.

You could also try some gentle exercise- or go for a walk if possible.

Crystal15 Thu 10-Nov-16 20:22:16

Have u had any therapy for the anxiety? Typically exposure therapy is best.

helpnc Thu 10-Nov-16 20:27:31

Thank you tommy

Not yet crystal, but I've called the referral number the GP gave me; they're calling me back in late November to hopefully arrange some therapy, but that's some time away.

Still panicking a bit but hoping it'll stop soon. Been in bathroom for quite a while, will try a walk when I stop feeling like I'm about to throw up.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Fri 11-Nov-16 08:11:16

I had an allergic reaction to a the carrier powder in an inhailer when I was put on it... I came out in a rash all over me within half an hour....

Got to my GP and was given huge doses of anti histamine. ... and an alternative inhailer.

TommyandGina Fri 11-Nov-16 08:14:43

Morning helpnc how are things today?

helpnc Sat 12-Nov-16 07:52:12

Thank you for asking tommy, I had a few more panics yesterday, it was a bit difficult.

Today I'm feeling very strange - my head's foggy and my thoughts are very slow, nothing feels quite real.

I'm hoping a few days of panic and disordered eating will do that rather than the medication as now I've finally started, I don't want to give up!

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sat 12-Nov-16 08:02:06

I feel slightly foggy and unreal this morning....

But I know exactly why.... and it is not my meds... it is however self inflicted

TommyandGina Sat 12-Nov-16 09:53:05

Please definitely don't give up. These medications have side effects similar to those you describe. Expect them and ride out the panic attacks, easier said than done I know. The side effects should ease after a week or so, then gradually you will start to feel the benefits.

Keep going, you're doing so well, pm me if you want brewcake

CheckpointCharlie2 Sat 12-Nov-16 10:00:20

I had a very similar anxiety where I used to feel like my throat had a lump in it and was closing up, it's called globulus hystericus or something like that and I still get it occasionally but not as bad and I can talk myself down now. It's caused by stress in my case.

A book that really helped me was this one in fact it stopped me from having panic attacks in my early twenties and they have never really come back.

I would highly recommend it. Hope you feel better soon

helpnc Sat 12-Nov-16 10:26:32

Thank you tommy, I really appreciate it flowers I'll keep ignoring this feeling then and won't worry too much over it. It's very peculiar, the most minor worry makes my head go blurry again - time for a day of rubbish tv I think!

And thank you checkpoint, I'll give 'globulus hysterics' a google and buy that book too, I'm glad to hear you've tackled it successfully. flowers

CheckpointCharlie2 Sat 12-Nov-16 10:40:33

No worries, it really was a life changer! In fact I might buy it again as I gave my copy away yonks ago.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sat 12-Nov-16 15:29:31

I have just been saying to Cranky that at the moment I feel great.. It is down to my meds as otherwise at this time of year I just want to hide under a duvt until spring.

helpnc Wed 16-Nov-16 10:35:02

Sorry to hear that noteasy! Usually I thrive around now, I love winter, but I know it gets most people down flowers

I think I'm beginning to get some side-effects perhaps - last night and this morning I've had a massive headache, and I'm a bit odd in my own head again, all detached and slow.

I'm trying to convince myself to swallow some paracetamol. They've been sitting there ready to swallow for ages. Just can't get my body to do it. confused God I hope I'm normal one day!

helpnc Wed 16-Nov-16 10:35:52

Argh you see I've totally misread your message which was you're ok despite the winter. Bloody brain. Honestly not working. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now