Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Need help coil, mental health, emetophobia

(4 Posts)
Ames33 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:33:49

I posted this is chat but didn't get any responses so thought I would try here:
I don't know who to turn to as I just piss everyone off all the time going on and on. I have massive emetophobia (fear of vomit) which has got a lot worse since having ds 3 years ago. I have tried and failed most therapies and feel I'm at my wits end. I know that my fears got even more irrational around my period so tried many different pills to see if they helped my pms, but no, just made me bleed constantly. I had the coil fitted 2 weeks ago and was fine for a week, now I am bleeding so heavily and not allowed to use tampons (sorry if tmi) so going through towel after towel My anxiety levels have shot up to the point of coming to bed and just crying.
I have tried and failed to send my ds to nursery several times due to my illogical fear that every time he goes he will get a sickness bug. I know it makes me a terrible mum because I am stopping his development. Having said that he is a happy, healthy, sociable little thing.
So anyway, I started him back today and I am just so terrified he is harboring some nasty germs and will just start vomiting. Perhaps it wasn't best to try again when my hormones are all haywire, I just don't know.
I just need some advice, and believe me, I know that I can't run away from illness, he will get it from school, I'm stunting his development etc...

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 09-Nov-16 03:09:57

Winter vomiting (Noro) virus is a nasty one for sure... But when there is an outbreak it is all over the news.. Indeed if your DS's nursery was affected everyone would be chucking up and the place would be closed.. If it's open then they don't have an outbreak.

If DS is getting ill from something else, they have a food hygene safety issue... Again the gealth police would be all over them lime a rash if there was an outbreak. Your biggest likelyhood of catching a bug is a on a bus or tube...

Good luck

wideawakeat3am Sun 13-Nov-16 10:34:50

Hi Ames. I feel the same about my toddler. I worry so much about him getting ill or sick. I wanted to put him in nursery a couple of days each week to give me some time to myself, and him the opportunity to interact with other kids, but my first thought was 'he will get loads of illnesses in nursery' and my anxiety was triggered. I hate vomiting as well.

I can't really offer much help other than to say I know how you feel and you're not alone in feeling like that. I find going out for a walk helps if I'm feeling very anxious - the change of environment helps to break the cycle of thoughts. People have suggested mindfulness too but I don't find it helps when I'm in a panic. Keeping busy and brain active with soothing activities like drawing/puzzles/audio books or music seems to help more.

Ames33 Sun 13-Nov-16 15:47:26

Thank you for your post. This emetophobia sucks doesn't it?!
I'm doing the 'cure your emetophobia and thrive' and although I am seeing benefits in some areas of my life, my mind just won't let go of this phobia!
We are going on holiday next week, and I should be so excited but instead I am dreading the plane journey, because it just feels like a flying box of germs!!
How old is your little one? Mine is 3 and will be going to school next year, so I MUST get better before then!!
Always here if you need a chat. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now