Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Prozac / Fluoxetine - Can anyone share their experiences?

(14 Posts)
woowoowoo Fri 04-Nov-16 16:22:41

Hi everyone

I am about to start taking Fluoxetine / Prozac and was hoping others who have taken this drug would be willing to share their experiences - good or bad.

I am no stranger to ADs. However, having had no success taking others or having to stop them due to side effects, my GP has decided to try me on Prozac.

My previous AD was Escitalopram and it did absolutely nothing even at the highest dose and despite taking it for five months. Had no side effects either both starting and stopping it. As if I as was taking sugar pills!

I had to stop Sertraline as it caused the bizarre side effect of breast pain and swelling blush. My boobs grew massive and were so sore. I felt embarrassed explaining to the male GP why they were not suitable for me. This is a rare side effect, apparently, and can even happen to men!

Anyway, I have been given Prozac as I need the sort of AD to get me motivated and energised. The GP thinks Prozac is one of the more stimulating ADs.

I would be really interested to hear other people's experiences / tips for taking it / dosages / how long to work etc.

Thank you all.

woowoowoo Fri 04-Nov-16 16:58:53

Anyone?

Parrcful Fri 04-Nov-16 17:01:06

Makes me feel happy and energetic!

redannie118 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:09:36

Took this when I had crippling PND. Saved my sanity. Was on a high dose but was 18 years ago so not sure what. Only side effect I had was horrific skin itching and my face/ chest and arms swelled up but it came down fine with e45 and anti histamine. Quite a common side effects so worth watching out for

woowoowoo Fri 04-Nov-16 17:16:55

I want to feel happy and energetic!

Anyone else?

AnxiousCarer Fri 04-Nov-16 19:45:22

Fluoxitine saved my life. Took time to work, but got me back to my normal self. Only side effects were a little dizzyness in the first couple of weeks then nothing after that. Have taken it again with similar effect a few years ago, but then the most recent time, felt nothing and have been swapped metazapine this week.

Gormless Fri 04-Nov-16 19:49:52

Another one here who was really, really helped by Fluoxetine. It took me a while to accept actually taking pills for my depression (I thought it was a sign of weakness) but they helped me so much I'm now quite evangelical about it. Good luck with this OP.

Gormless Fri 04-Nov-16 19:50:28

PS think it started helping me within a fortnight

gunting Fri 04-Nov-16 19:52:58

Personally I didn't find it very helpful. It didn't change my mood in anyway and it made sex less enjoyable.

I stopped taking them and went for CBT which I found very helpful.

Best of luck x

SugarNspiceNallThingsNice Fri 04-Nov-16 19:53:14

This didn't work for me, lots of headaches and no improvement with the depression.
After trying this I was put on sertraline and that made me so much worse, probably the worst 2 years of my life that caused.
Now I have mirtazepine and it's fantastic!

Parrcful Fri 04-Nov-16 19:55:22

anxious carer Mirtazipane is also used for people with eating disorders to give them an appetite. I put on about four stone when I was on them, that's why I went back onto Prozac.. So glad I did! So far lost two stones...

SugarNspiceNallThingsNice Fri 04-Nov-16 19:59:29

Parrcful, that's the only downside to mirtazepine. I have put on over a stone so far. Hoping i lose it somehow

BroomstickOfLove Fri 04-Nov-16 20:05:03

I had pretty bad side effects on Prozac. It eased the depression, but I had symptoms similar to the physical aspects of a panic attack - racing heart etc, and I had uncontrollable muscle twitching. Also, I couldn't orgasm. When I was taking them, my depression was directly related to my work, and the Prozac gave me the energy to resign, at which point I could stop taking them.

Sherbert38 Mon 07-Nov-16 05:11:23

Prozac was the first AD I took about 8 years ago and I honestly don't think I would be here without it.
I took 20mg and found it best to take it in the morning as I would sleep better that way.
It took a month or so to work and I must admit I did feel worse rather than better for the first couple of weeks but so glad I stuck with it.
The only side effects for me seemed to be the vivid dreams and more headaches (which may be totally unrelated)
More recently I have taken Citalopram, which I had an awful time coming off due to withdrawal symptoms. The Prozac was definitely the more energising and stimulating of the two.
Good Luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now