Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Counselling?

(4 Posts)
lostandabandoned Thu 03-Nov-16 17:50:55

I wonder if anyone could help me? This last year has been the worst of my life - my once strong marriage is falling apart (and it's all my fault), some close family members are pretty unwell, I'm about to lose my job. I feel like my life is crumbling around me and I know I'm not coping, not at all. I don't really have anyone I can talk to about what's going on in my marriage so I feel v isolated.

I went to the doctor who advised counselling but I just don't think I can face it. Don't think I've got the strength to do it. Can anyone who has undergone counselling in similar circumstances advise me? Did it help? Or make you feel worse? Not sure what purpose it can possibly serve and am worried facing things head on might just cause me to shatter completely.

BecauseIamaBear Thu 03-Nov-16 18:28:48

Why do you say your marriage situation is all your fault?
Being a manic depressive I can understand workplace issues..

Bear,
PS I am on family duty for a while so I won't be able to post till much later tonight...

user114114 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:49:39

I'm going to counselling at the moment.

My marriage is also in tatters...

I'm not finding it helps, it's just making me talk about things I don't want to talk about. I've never felt so depressed in all my life

It's for some people but unless you want to talk about everything to someone who can't give any advice back (they're not allowed) then is say a CBT course or similar is probably more suitable

AnxiousCarer Thu 03-Nov-16 22:02:56

Hi, I've had councelling a few times and found it really helpful. Sometimes, it can raise difficult emotions, thats part of the process of working through the issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now