Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Social Anxiety Disorder

(4 Posts)
Verbena37 Thu 03-Nov-16 14:28:22

I don't have social anxiety but I'm friends with someone who does, although it remains undiagnosed and they haven't admitted they have it to anybody.....I'm just going by the symptoms (fear of pretty much any social situation, not going to parties, not making speeches, not liking speaking on the phone, not wanting to apply for a job in case they have to then go to an interview).

As you can imagine, it has taken over their life and prevents them from really living. How would I, or other friends and family, encourage them to do something about it and get practical help?
As well as the NHS route, are their any charities (MIND?) who provide free courses to help with social anxiety?

AnxiousCarer Thu 03-Nov-16 21:40:36

I think the first step would be to discus this with your friend. For any help or treatment your friend would need to actively engage and would need to be willing to seek help. I also would reccommend a book called " Dare to Connect " by susan Jeffers I found this really useful fo social anxiety when I was younger.

Embley Thu 03-Nov-16 21:43:03

There should be an 'iapt' in your area which is a free nhs service that treats anxiety. They're normally self referral or via gp.

Verbena37 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:58:32

Thanks both.
I can't speak to the friend.....they told their partner they don't want anybody to know....I'm not therefore in a position to say anything to the person.....but will definitely pass on suggestions to the partner to talk about it with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now