Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Long term citalopram but still depressed

(2 Posts)
Knackerednursey Tue 01-Nov-16 01:30:45

Hi guys, I really need some advice. Sorry if this is long-winded. I'm a single parent of 2 and work part-time in a really stressful job. I've actually got myself a new job that should hopefully be easier, but I won't start for another 2 months. I need to keep working as there is no-one else to rely on to help pay the bills and keep us living in a nice area! I've been on 40mg citalopram for about 5 years as I suffered with mild-moderate depression long before my life got as hard as it is now. Since splitting up with my ex-partner 3 years ago I've gone from nearly suicidal pits of depression to functioning, working, looking after my kids and running a house (in a fashion!) I was on mirtazipine for a while aswell, and now take amitriptyline for sleep. So there is a definite improvement, and I do have the odd really good day but I just can't maintain it. I mostly look ok on the outside, but I'm struggling so hard all the time, my life is just miserable. I just took that depression test and scored moderately severe depression.
I don't have a regular GP, and the last one I saw said she would only start me on another antidepressant if I stop the citalopram first. So I've been thinking about weaning off the citalopram as I have no idea if it's working, or maybe it is and I'd be severely depressed without it?? And the stories online of citalopram withdrawal are horrendous! I know there are lots of things I could do for myself such as exercise and diet (which I am always thinking of doing and will one day) but that is not happening yet, I'm too down, and it's a vicious circle!
Does anyone have experience of citalopram stopping working and another drug making a difference? Either instead of citalopram or combined with it? If anyone is on a combination of antidepressants, were they prescribed by your GP or by a psychiatrist? I'm thinking that this period of notice I have at work might be the best time for me to possible change meds because my new job is now secured and if I have to be off sick now there shouldn't be too much fallout. I think I might be going off sick anyway...sorry for the huuge post x

BecauseIamaBear Tue 01-Nov-16 06:20:30

I was prescribed Citralopram when I broke down. It helped a lot and I was on it for over a year.. But after a while I began to feel it was not "right".

I decided to come off and began gradually reducing my dose a month at a time per step. The final stqges I was cutting tablets in two, then taking half every other day.

I think it took nearly five months to get "clean"... but I am happy to say I did not have any side effects although I recognised I still needed meds and later began a different management. Good luck and please keep posting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now