Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depressed/anxiety... neither?

(7 Posts)
TiredyMcTired Mon 31-Oct-16 07:43:28

Hi,
I think I've been struggling for a while, but I can't understand if I'm just tired out or have depression or anxiety or both.
I've realised over the past few months that I don't really feel much, just seem to be too tired to enjoy anything and don't have much energy, i still do my daily stuff but it's usually an effort. I don't sleep well, get off OK, but wake up 3-4 hours later and struggle to get back to sleep, usually because I start thinking about stuff. I struggle to organise my thoughts, and am quite forgetful which causes problems at work as I forget or miss things.
When I do feel anything it is usually worry or panic over something, a really heavy feeling in my chest and sometimes that awful stomach churning 'rug pulled from under me' feeling.
I though about going to the GP, but I'm not sure that I'm actually depressed as I'm not suicidal or anything... Both my parents had/have mental health problems, Dad is Bipolar and Mum has had periods of depression throughout her life so I'm trying to judge how I feel by my experience of their behaviour in the past and mine isn't the same. Would I be be wasting my GP's time if I went to see him?

griffinsss Mon 31-Oct-16 07:50:33

You must go to your GP, only they (or a mental health team they may refer you to) can diagnose you. Self diagnosis can be dangerous. Don't undervalue your feelings though. You may need some CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) to help you to cope, that's what I had to help my anxiety. Depression isn't all suicide, too.

I hope you feel better soon, OP. Anxiety is horrendous.

mymilkshakes00 Mon 31-Oct-16 07:55:05

Absolutely won't be wasting time. The GP can refer you to the mh service and they will asses you further.
My GP actually spotted the signs of depression with me and referred me straight away also was put on meds.

WittgensteinsBunny Mon 31-Oct-16 07:56:23

Hi Tired I'm sorry you're feeling so low. I suffer from anxiety, this was diagnosed last year. I read both overcoming anxiety and overcoming worry - CBT books recommended to me by the Time to Talk team before I started attending a post natal support group. When I read the overcomng worry book I cried so much. I felt as if it explained so much of my past struggles to me and I really started to understand myself and have some techniques to help make things better.

I find that tiredness is the big trigger for my anxiety as well as PMT. So having two babies close together and not having good sleepers really was my undoing. No sleep and crazy hormones was a terrible combination! I functioned but I was very very unhappy. So for me, just being tired also underpins my wellbeing quite radically.

You won't be wasting anyone's time. The other thing to ask would be about your vit d levels, iron levels and just a general health check.

As an aside I find that when I get the stomach churning / heart pounding / heavy chest thing the best thing for me is to go for a walk outside or to do some breathing exercises / mindfulness cd. Eating regularly is also really important to me. I'm much better with lots of smaller meals or at least not missing meals and having good snacks in between. When I get really in a fug I sometimes forget to eat and that's disastrous!

Take care of yourself. I'm sure your GP can help.

Ffswtf Mon 31-Oct-16 07:57:04

I understand where you're coming from, I'm going through something similar. Please go to your gp, they will sympathise and be able to help, you are most definitely not wasting anybodys time. Hope you start to feel better soon flowersbrewcake

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Mon 31-Oct-16 08:06:17

It might be worth asking for blood tests too. Low thyroid, low Vitamin B12 or low Vitamin D could make you lethargic and uninterested in life.

TiredyMcTired Mon 31-Oct-16 20:52:26

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I have made an appointment with my GP for the end of the week and will make sure to talk as clearly as I can about how I feel, and I will ask for blood tests too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now