Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

*possible mh trigger* Would it be unreasonable to go to the doctor in the morning?

(30 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 30-Oct-16 20:15:44

Genuinely not sure...

I'm currently off work with depression. I have a prebooked appointment on Thursday.

For weeks I've had a lot of suicidal thoughts with little intent. This weekend they've got worse, I haven't done anything though except one minor cut. But I just really wish I was dead.

My doctor always tells me to go back in if I feel worse. I'm fairly confident that I could get an on-the-day appointment tomorrow if I phone first thing.

But I feel stupid because I've not DONE anything, and I'm too scared of messing it up to actually try to kill myself. And I don't know what I actually expect the doctor to do! I'm on medication but if she increases it, it takes weeks to take effect. I'm already awaiting cbt through work (should be a couple of weeks wait rather than many months nhs waiting list, I know this makes me luckier than many others). I've been ill for YEARS, I know there's no magic cure. But I can't cope with feeling this bad.

So... do I try to go tomorrow or do I wait it out til Thursday?

HarryPottersMagicWand Sun 30-Oct-16 20:17:28

Go tomorrow. This doesn't sound as if it can wait.

I hope you can get help soon.

QuiltedAloeVera Sun 30-Oct-16 20:18:07

Go. flowers

PotteringAlong Sun 30-Oct-16 20:18:23

Go tomorrow.

Is someone with you tonight?

ConvincingLiar Sun 30-Oct-16 20:19:05

Go tomorrow. If you feel embarrassed because you feel a bit better once you're there, that'll only be because you've taken some positive action to keep yourself safe. Go tomorrow.

FuckThatToOneSide Sun 30-Oct-16 20:20:26

Go tomorrow! flowers

BagelDog Sun 30-Oct-16 20:20:37

Go. You feel worse, and things are escalating to the point where you have cut yourself. They would so so much rather see you now and intervene than wait for you to do serious harm to yourself. Well done for having the insight to see that things have changed xx

Lolimax Sun 30-Oct-16 20:20:46

Please go. Yes the medication might take a while to kick in but you'll feel better knowing you've done something.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 30-Oct-16 20:21:45

Thank you

I'm on my own, which I know makes it worse. But no one I can stay with right now. People in rl know I'm ill but have never told them about suicidal feelings or self harm

StarlingMurderation Sun 30-Oct-16 20:22:11

Do go tomorrow. Your GP may be able to refer you to the Crisis Team (if there's one in your county/city) and they can offer much more immediate support. This has happened to me twice and it was a next/same day referral. Good luck flowers

DaffodilsAreMyFav Sun 30-Oct-16 20:23:39

Thurs is a long way off when you feel this awful. Go tomorrow.

willowcatkin111 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:24:49

Go tomorrow or better still phone 111 now and talk to someone about how you feel. They will advise you on what is best to do. Good luck flowers

NewDay10 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:25:38

Would it be possible to phone 111 tonight? To tell them how you feel? I'm thinking It's better you're not alone. Or what about calling the Samaritans to talk to someone? Definitely go tomorrow but I'm thinking get some help now if you can.

FlapsTie Sun 30-Oct-16 20:26:03

If you feel you might harm yourself tonight, go to a&e or the urgent treatment centre if you have one. If you can't get there, call an ambulance. If you don't feel you can call an ambulance, call nhs 111 (they will call one for you when you tell them you feel suicidal).

They will treat you with kindness and respect and can give you sedatives to get you though the night. They should also trigger a crisis team referral who will help you through the next couple of weeks.

You won't always feel like this.

flowers

Heirhelp Sun 30-Oct-16 20:29:30

Go tomorrow or if you feel you can't cope at home go to a and e. if you want to talk to someone you can ring Samaritan on 116 123 or if there is one nearby pop in for a chat.

www.samaritans.org/branches

georgethecat Sun 30-Oct-16 20:50:27

Samaritans & keep talking on here, there's always someone up!
You will get through this x

ditzychick34 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:03:14

Go tomorrow, call 111 or the Samaritans tonight and talk to someone. The phone lines are for everyone and anyone. They have time and will want to talk to you.
If you can't manage to talk, maybe try to distract your mind, I find classics threads on mn great (esp the spider one) for when I can't turn my head off and I feel pants.

JellyBelli Sun 30-Oct-16 21:08:35

Go, and use the phone lines. flowers

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 30-Oct-16 21:09:49

Hi there Harderandharder,

We're so sorry to hear you feel this way at the moment. We'd second what previous posters have said - do get yourself to the doctor as soon as you can. Here's a list of a few numbers you can call and organisations that might be able to offer help tonight if you need it in our Mental Health webguide. We're also going to move this thread over to our Mental Health topic shortly where we think you'll get lots more targeted support from others who have been in your position.

Best of luck and we do hope things look up for you soon..

MNHQ

AnxiousCarer Sun 30-Oct-16 21:51:35

Hi, echo what previous posters have said if you are struggling tonight go to a&e, they will keep you safe and get crisis team to assess you. You may also be able to phone crisis team directly, the number will probably be online or available through your local hospital switchboard. You could also phone samaritans to help you get through the night. Or keep talking to us on here.

AnxiousCarer Sun 30-Oct-16 21:53:57

If you need a safe space to chat come to wrists bitches, its a safe space for anyone who needs it

harderandharder2breathe Mon 31-Oct-16 08:20:21

Thank you for your replies

I have an appointment this morning, although not with my usual doctor

MorrisZapp Mon 31-Oct-16 08:25:17

When I was struggling, I always felt better after seeing a doctor, even if there was no change to my treatment. Just being listened to, cared for and safe was a boost in itself.

AnxiousCarer Mon 31-Oct-16 08:54:25

Glad you have an appointment, hope it helps. flowers

BecauseIamaBear Mon 31-Oct-16 09:14:19

Please post when you get home...

Bear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now