Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

If sertraline didn't work, what did?

(21 Posts)
mustheshowgoon Sun 30-Oct-16 10:52:06

I have recognised that I probably need to start taking medication again but I can't hack going back onto Setraline as it made me spiral into the darkest place (suicidal). It's also one of the drugs my friend recently took in combination with others to take his own life.

I can't have 2 weeks off work at the moment, which is what I needed last time. Obviously I know that different drugs work differently for different people....but am keen to hear any experiences.

Also, I lurk on this forum a lot. Can someone tell me what "wrists bitches" is please? smile

AnxiousCarer Sun 30-Oct-16 11:13:36

Hi must

Wrists bitches was started by wristboundlatexbitch as a safe place for those of us who need it to have a chat and support each other through difficult times, you are very welcome to join us.

Theres lots of different ADs so your GP would be the best one to talk to about it, if you explain why you don't want to take sertraline I'm sure they willlook at alternatives. I've been on prozac a few times which has worked well for me. The first time I went through a brief period of feeling suicidal, I think it was going from wantingvto die but not having the motivation to do anything about it to feeling well enough to think about actually doing something if that makes sense. I would discuss these concerns with your GP who may want to monitor you closely to begin with given your history.

I've spent the last 2 months saying "I can't have 2 weeks off work at the moment" to last week actually not being able to do my job and having to accept being off despite it being a really bad time! If you broke your leg you wouldn't be able to say "well this isn't conveniant I can't take time off work" your health is way more important than work they will just have to mannage.

Cluesue Sun 30-Oct-16 11:16:02

My friend was on sertraline and is now on Prozac and said it is much better for her.

mustheshowgoon Sun 30-Oct-16 16:04:46

Thanks both. I am seeing the doctor on weds.

I have just started a new job so that's why I feel reluctant. I know my health is more important than work but I just want to avoid time off if I can.

I am functional at the moment and sometimes happy. It's nowhere near as good as I have felt but it's manageable.....I know drugs would help but it's that first bit I am scared of.

I have GAD and my current anxiety is becoming very depressed and being stuck on medication forever but never being happy. It's not helpful!

Maybe one for another thread but does anyone else wake with physical anxiety symptoms and then try to attach them to something? It's like I get the bad feelings first and then try to attach them to events rather than what I see as what is "normal" in that something bad happens and then you feel bad. Gosh...not even sure that made sense!

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 16:07:33

What other antidepressants have you tried?

mustheshowgoon Sun 30-Oct-16 16:11:39

Paroxetine and Sertraline so far

The former did nothing except make sex difficult
Sertraline made me feel terrible and then better but I was also meditating and exercising and having CBT so am not sure if it was the drugs

Mooey89 Sun 30-Oct-16 16:21:09

I am on fleuxotene (Prozac) and absolutely love it, it has changed my life.

wowbutter Sun 30-Oct-16 16:21:40

Citlopram worked for me.

Sertraline made me even more of a mess than I was before. Citalopram is lovely. I am on a low dose, me I find it works amazingly.

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 16:25:24

Citalopram or fluoxetine are usually good choices. I'm not really keen on paroxetine or sertraline (both as a service user and a RMN). Terrible side effects!

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 16:25:59

Escitalopram literally saved my life, I forgot to add.

MrsWooster Sun 30-Oct-16 16:51:20

Venlafaxine for GAD. Worked when sertraline didnt.

JenBehavingBadly Sun 30-Oct-16 17:56:26

I never got on with Sertraline. It just made me tired and useless. Fluoxetine always did the trick for me though. Everyone is different.

mustheshowgoon Sun 30-Oct-16 19:29:36

Ok thanks everyone. Feeling more like I can go to the doctor's on weds and ask to try something different. I'll just time starting it to be over a time when things aren't so busy at work.

Fruit what is a RMN?

dangermouseisace Sun 30-Oct-16 19:41:26

sertraline worked but then it didn't and I was just agitated and depressed. It sounds like it might have worked for you in the past though…
There are loads of others. But I did laugh at your comment "I can't take 2 weeks off work" if you had D&V you'd take the time off though?

mustheshowgoon Mon 31-Oct-16 10:24:31

dangermouseisace Yes I know. And ultimately I will take it if I need it...I am just reluctant to do so in my first week in a new job.

I'll try something else on Wednesday and see how it goes.

GoldenYorkies Mon 31-Oct-16 10:39:37

I'm glad I've come across this because I was taking sertraline for 3 years, which had triggered trichotillomania, I became obsessed with plucking armpit hair. It also didn't help one bit. My moods became worse and the anxiety was really bad. I decided I needed to see a different doctor to discuss changing them and found out that sertraline and all the other SSRI antidepressants I had ever tried probably didn't agree with me. It was something to do with the way he thinks my brain is wired. He said they just don't work for some people. I was put on mirtazapine and it was a bloody god send. After a fortnight I felt so much better and more sane than ever. I took them and got therapy and i am much better. I have stopped them now though because they did make me put weight on. But I waited til I was better to do decide to stop them because I didn't want to be overweight anymore. I lost a stone in 3 weeks after stopping them. Unfortunately I am thinking about taking them again as I can feel myself slipping.

GourmetGold Mon 31-Oct-16 21:31:12

CBT worked for me, self help book by Dr David Burns. From what I have read, I wouldn't touch psychiatric drugs with a barge pole.

mustheshowgoon Mon 31-Oct-16 21:42:17

I think I have one of his books. Which one?

mustheshowgoon Mon 31-Oct-16 21:42:31

I have the self esteem one

GourmetGold Mon 31-Oct-16 21:51:27

I don't believe depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, I believe that is an invention of Big Pharma to sell drugs. My experience is that depression is from illogical thoughts.
I recently watched a documentary on this subject and in the U.S.A an estimated 42 000 people are killed by psychiatric drugs. Each psychiatric drug earns the Pharma companies approx $8 million per day!! angry

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy I have personally found a god send, has totally changed my life, the exercises are so simple but so effective.

GourmetGold Mon 31-Oct-16 21:55:35

(42 000 per year that should be!)

10 days to self esteem? I've got that one too...I've ended up with all of them!

That self esteem one has a really great technique called 'Acceptance Paradox' which for me I've found to be the best of all the CBT exercises.

Have you tried any of the exercises in the self esteem book?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now