Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Spiralling - how to stop it

(8 Posts)
LifeAsAPendulousFall Sun 30-Oct-16 07:56:51

Hi
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I just wondered if anyone had any coping strategies they use for when they feel themselves spiraling (is it one l or two? I can't even think at the moment blush )

I've suffered with depression and anxiety for the best part of 15 years. I've had CBT a couple of times and although I've been on ADs I don't have them regularly (which is probably where I'm going wrong). I'll take them for a couple of months and then when I start feeling better I cone off them thinking that it's not down to them.

I am now in the position where I can feel myself spiraling so quickly and have no thoughts as to how to stop it. I've forgotten everything from the CBT. I am in a job I hate but due to circumstances I cannot leave. When it gets to Sundays I get so anxious about it I struggle to breathe. I feel sick.

I've had some days off this week and I feel terrible because DD and I have done nothing. I don't have the energy or inclination to. I'm happy just at home. Money worries are making me stressed and with Christmas coming up I don't know what I'll do. I'm ruining DDs life she could be so much better off somewhere else. I'm spiraling and don't know what to do. I will make a Dr's appointment but I know last time I tried for Dd appointments were a week away.

I keep telling myself we could go for a walk but then say what's the point? We have nowhere to go and I can't even afford for a coffee and milkshake at the end of it.

I have no family or friends to call on. DDs dad is less than useless in all and everything.

The one good thing is the rubber band technique is working so I'm not self harming again.

BecauseIamaBear Sun 30-Oct-16 08:42:46

First,
Welcome to MH pages...
Second,
No it is not a stupid question.,, indeed it is a very good question. As to an answer, I find that doing housework is often a help.

OK.. time to fess up.. I wait till the vacuum tube fair rattles with grit going up the tube and the place changes from grey to coloured... shock

LifeAsAPendulousFall Sun 30-Oct-16 08:49:12

Thank you Bear.
I struggle because I look at the wain b up and think "what's the point there will just be more later" or similarly with the ironing for example. You are right though there is sense of achievement by doing a task. Unfortunately it is usually short lived. I will endeavour to do something whether it's hoovering or ironing today

Haggisfish Sun 30-Oct-16 08:52:25

A walk is fun in itself-there doesn't need to be a treat at the end. I'd suggest staying on medication for at least six months and then three months after you start feeling better. In the short term, distraction and short goals. Put some music on and dance with dc. Ask them those funny questions on fb-what do you want to be when you grow up, what do you like best about mummy etc.

AnxiousCarer Sun 30-Oct-16 09:37:54

Hi,

I echo staying on the ADs longer, I think they recommend at least 6 months after you feel better, to build up a reserve of the brain chemicals to get you through challenging times. I'm sure you are a great Mum, going for a walk can be fun, how about setting DD a challenge to find the prettiest leaf/feather/collect conkers etc,

Housework doesn't do it for me bear! I would reccommend meditation as an alternative, theres a really good app called headspace.

LifeAsAPendulousFall Sun 30-Oct-16 10:07:57

Thank you for your replies flowers I appreciate it as it's nice not to feel invisible.
DD is 11 so and going through puberty so I'm battling her raging hormones as well as her lack of energy/in bed until whatever time. Suggesting a walk to her with no goal or reason would most likely be met with a "what's the point". Oh God having just written that down I realise where she has got it from blush sad.
I will battle through until I see the dr though. I'm nervous as ive mixed so have never been to this surgery before and don't know what the attitude towards MH and ADs will be. My last surgery was great.

LifeAsAPendulousFall Sun 30-Oct-16 10:08:20

*moved not mixed. Sorry

Haggisfish Sun 30-Oct-16 11:07:01

Ask if there is a gp with special interest in mh. Force dd on a walk!! Say it's special Mum and dd time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now