Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Book recommendations for depressed me

(8 Posts)
GhostlyAbode Fri 28-Oct-16 16:48:13

Hi there

I have depression and one of my coping strategies to get through the horrid lonely, long commute to work is to listen to audio books via Audible.

But I've run out of ideas. They can't be too sad / anxiety inducing / traumatic as that makes me feel worse!

Any recommendations? Could be sell help books / autobiographies / fiction - anything. To give you an example I've just finished the Harry Potter series, Miranda Harts autobiography and a love story called The versions of us.

Thanks

dangermouseisace Fri 28-Oct-16 19:31:17

I liked 'reasons to stay alive' by matt haig but was a bit disappointed that this was yet another person who didn't need shitloads of drugs to get better (though pleased for him, obviously)

'anasi boys' by Neil Gaiman is a good fiction choice

GhostlyAbode Fri 28-Oct-16 20:17:42

Thanks danger.

I kind of agree. If I hear mindfulness as a miracle cure once more I might scream! Yes i know it has it place but sometime drugs is what you need!

missyB1 Fri 28-Oct-16 20:22:01

I've just finished "Rise" by Sian Williams, it's partly about her double mastectomy but also about recovering from trauma / ptsd. Lots of science in it as she has a masters in Pyschology. It's a great read I couldn't put it down!

Not2bObvious Fri 28-Oct-16 20:23:41

Brian Blessed's autobiography is fab and read by the man himself, I loved it, smiled throughout even though there were some sad/poignant bits - a legend

JellyMouldJnr Fri 28-Oct-16 21:55:07

If you're interested in psychology, the Skeleton Cupboard by Tanya Byron is a fantastic semi- autographical account of clinical psychology training.

mustheshowgoon Mon 31-Oct-16 10:30:01

GhostlyAbode Animal by Sara Pascoe is funny and interesting and she is vulnerable and truthful along with amusing. Get me entertained through sleepless nights.

GourmetGold Mon 31-Oct-16 21:24:08

'Feeling Good The New Mood Therapy', Dr David Burns. A really entertaining read alongside helping you if you have depression.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now