Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline - side effects

(16 Posts)
Strawberryshortcake40 Mon 24-Oct-16 07:07:09

I was prescribed this on Thursday for GAD. I expected some side effects, the first two days I felt a bit disorientated. Then the nausea started which is constant. I was awake the whole of Saturday night, feeling like I would vomit, boiling hot, racing pulse. Last night the diarrhoea started too and I've spent another night awake running back and forth to the loo and clutching a bucket! The constant nausea has triggered my gastritis (which is linked to my anxiety) and I now have chest pains too.

Basically I've never felt worse or more anxious in my life! I'm a single parent (thankfully DC have been with dad so missed me being so poorly last night). So it is really scary being this ill and alone (which is one of the things I have anxiety attacks about).

I'm not sure I can face taking anymore, I know the side effects should only last two weeks but I have to be able to work (self employed) and look after my DC. Has anyone had side effects like that that went relatively quickly or am I looking at another 9 days of this?

RoastChickenDinner Mon 24-Oct-16 09:45:58

Hi Strawberry, please stick with it. I felt truly dreadful on Sertraline to begin with, but on day 6 it was like someone had flicked a switch and turned the nausea off. Even the insomnia resolved within the 2 weeks and I started to feel better in terms of anxiety too.

My life is now revolutionised. I didn't know it was possible to live like this - free from constantly paralysing fear and worry.

What you describe sound like pretty usual sertraline side effects so they should start to ease off soon.

In my opinion, it is worth battling through the first couple of weeks.

Good luck flowers

user1471434605 Mon 24-Oct-16 09:47:22

I agree. When you start it, the side effects are vile, I found the nausea crippling. But it is so worth it, so stick with it. x

Thornrose Mon 24-Oct-16 09:53:10

It's awful but it is SO bloody worth it. I felt spaced out, no appetite, nauseous etc. and yes, more anxious.

The first 7 days were the worst, then side effects gradually lessened every day. The lack of appetite went on for 2 weeks.

I am also a single parent but I was signed off sick which made things easier. I appreciate it must be tough working through it. flowers

Strawberryshortcake40 Mon 24-Oct-16 10:00:09

I can cope with the nausea but I now can't even move far from the bathroom as I can't keep any fluids in! No way I can get to work today which means I won't get paid.

I think it was easier to deal with the panic attacks and crying fits than this!!

RoastChickenDinner Mon 24-Oct-16 10:04:24

It will get better. Is there some kind of emergency benefit you could apply for or someone who could help out with bills?

You should start to feel better soon, and it really is worth it, xx.

Strawberryshortcake40 Mon 24-Oct-16 10:16:45

I can't not work for two weeks or look after my children. I just don't know how people cope with these side effects!!

RoastChickenDinner Mon 24-Oct-16 10:31:23

They shouldn't be this bad for 2 weeks, xx.

dangermouseisace Mon 24-Oct-16 11:08:57

it shouldn't be that bad- sounds like you are actually ill rather than side effects.

It's the right time of year for norovirus...

Strawberryshortcake40 Mon 24-Oct-16 11:28:33

I haven't taken this mornings one, there seemed little point when nothing is actually staying in my system. Not sure what the right thing is to do at this point. I had them prescribed by a private dr and haven't got the money to go back there today.

Strawberryshortcake40 Mon 24-Oct-16 11:29:35

Private dr - because my GP told me I should just try to cut out some stress in my life, which is an impossibility!

RoastChickenDinner Tue 25-Oct-16 08:28:33

Any better today Strawberry?, xx.

Daisies123 Tue 25-Oct-16 09:00:18

I went on Sertraline in January for PND and had the nausea etc - almost threw up on my 4 week old DD!

I started spreading the daily dose out by halving tablets which helped enormously.

Good luck!

LuckyBitches Tue 25-Oct-16 14:57:08

I've been on Sertraline for GAD since April - the start was pretty rocky, especially the insomnia! It really does get better - for me I would say things were much more stable after a month, and now 6 months on I don't really have any side effects, but I am still sleeping under a sheet rather than a duvet! Clearly that's not normal, but on the whole I feel good, and glad that I stuck with it.

Hang in there! Anxiety is such a horror - it will get better. xxxx

Strawberryshortcake40 Tue 25-Oct-16 17:15:16

I spoke to dr yesterday lunchtime who told me to stop them straight away, apparently there are four major side effects and I ticked them all which meant that type of tablets aren't suitable for me. It will take till the end of the week to clear my system she said and then next week I can try something different.

Spent all day yesterday unable to get out of bed, this morning I'm pottering about but have no appetite and still feel sick. Fingers crossed will wear off soon!

Daisies123 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:35:45

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now