Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mental Health or Pregnancy Hormones?

(6 Posts)
ArseHair Wed 19-Oct-16 12:10:49

I've battled with anxiety and depression in the past, was on Prozac for the past 3 years and managing really well - best I'd felt in years.

Found out I was pregnant, stopped taking meds (spoke to Dr beforehand). We are so happy to have another one on the way.

Am now 10 weeks pregnant and incredibly tearful all of the time.

I'm driving myself mad as I can't tell if it's down to hormones or whether I just can't cope and need to get some help.

I didn't have this at all with my last pregnancy.

I don't know what to do.

couchtofivek Wed 19-Oct-16 15:46:22

Did you stop Prozac cold turkey? You really need to wean off meds like this over a period of months, not days or weeks. Doctors are generally clueless about weaving and there is no guidance in the leaflets that come with the meds on how to do it safely.

ArseHair Wed 19-Oct-16 16:12:38

Hi couchtofivek - yes cold turkey, but I did go to the Drs first as I didn't want this to happen.

couchtofivek Wed 19-Oct-16 16:23:29

I think your doc was very wrong to tell you to just stop cold turkey.
These meds take 6-8 weeks to do what they do, or reach therapeutic levels as docs like to say, so it makes sense that it'll take time for your brain to readjust to not having them any more.

Do you think you need to start taking the Prozac again?

NameChange30 Wed 19-Oct-16 16:27:19

I agree with couchtofive, I think it's strange that the GP agreed to you going cold turkey confused
I suggest you go back to the GP ASAP and ask about anti-depressants that are safe to take in pregnancy - there are options (but I'm not sure if Prozac is one).
Antenatal depression is real (although less well known than PND) and you're probably more susceptible to it given your history.

ArseHair Wed 19-Oct-16 16:41:53

Thanks - I will go back and try to see or at least speak to my own GP. She better understands my history.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now