Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think I may be genderqueer

(13 Posts)
PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Thu 13-Oct-16 03:54:56

Long time lurker and poster. I created a new account just for this It's so confusing. I've been reading a lot about this- I've been up for two nights straight, in fact, reading and worrying.

I'm really not good at explaining things. I've essentially just "come out" if you like, to a bunch of strangers (no offence...you're a FAB bunch of strangers!) because I don't know where to,start to begin to start!

FannyFifer Thu 13-Oct-16 03:55:39

What does gender queer mean?

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Thu 13-Oct-16 03:57:14

It means that I don't identify as either male or female. It's actually like I have two people inside of me at times!

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Thu 13-Oct-16 04:00:55

I really hope that this is the right section to post this, and I haven't made a huge fuck up. I was going to post in Feminism but it seemed a little too ironic to post in there. (sorry, I tend to switch to jackass mode and joke about when I'm stressed)

AnxiousMunchkin Thu 13-Oct-16 13:57:08

I guess that depends whether you feel that it is a mental health issue for you?

Lorelei76 Thu 13-Oct-16 14:02:14

I suppose it depends whether you feel there's an impact on your mental health, if there's anything you feel you should do in response to feeling this way.

tbh I'm not sure I identify as a woman either but that's according to weird current gender issues. However, it's not a problem for me.

are you seeing different aspects of yourself as being from different "genders"? I put gender in inverted commas because I don't believe in gender anyway.

Lancelottie Thu 13-Oct-16 14:07:46

TBH I'm not sure how anyone 'identifies' as man, women or indeed munchkin.

Could you possibly be entirely normal, but confused by the strangely adamant way that other people insist they do identify as one or t'other?

I hope you haven't done one of the online 'what's my gender' tests. SAGE thinks the whole of Mumsnet are gender conflicted crossdressing intersex vipers, largely because so few of us seem overexcited by housework.

Lancelottie Thu 13-Oct-16 14:09:18

Staying awake all night worrying about suggests, though, that there's something about the whole idea that bothers you. What is it that you would do differently if others saw you as the opposite gender?

IBelieveTheEarthIsFlat Thu 13-Oct-16 14:11:33

Why do you need to declare anything? Just be yourself. Gender is a pile of old shite anyway, be what and who you want to be and reject labelling yourself

WilliamHerschel Thu 13-Oct-16 16:08:17

Gender is a load of made up bollocks. Nobody conforms entirely to the gender attributes assigned to their sex. It would be impossible to do so seeing as ideas about gender vary across places, cultures and times. We are all human. There is no character trait, interest or hobby that is unique to either sex (unless you count biological processes as a character trait, interest or hobby) . I really miss the good old days when we had individual personalities rather than "genders". This sinister, backwards gender ideology seems to be taking over completely.

Lorelei76 Thu 13-Oct-16 18:11:29

OP I hope you're okay.

I definitely think there's a train of thought going at the moment that suggests gender is a thing, an important thing, and I'm conscious that if you feel that, it might have been a bit shocking to post here and find people saying "gender is unimportant".

I'm worried about the train of thought partly because of this though - you didn't expand in your OP why you feel like this but if it's because of perceived gender differences, then I would find that concerning. I don't have a boy brain just because the Science Museum think only boys can read maps and do maths! I hope you will come back and feel able to chat.

LineyReborn Thu 13-Oct-16 18:17:56

I think you may be Gender Cynical? I am. You (as in people like me and maybe you) know that gender is wrong as in it's a load of made up crap, but you got taught it growing up and it's confusing - so it ends up feeling 'wrong for me' rather than simply 'wrong'.

Like, Gender Atheism For Feeling-Guilty Former Indocrinated Children.

LineyReborn Thu 13-Oct-16 18:19:03

In other words, you're not the problem; 'gender' is the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now