Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What happens?

(6 Posts)
imwithspud Mon 10-Oct-16 00:36:33

After a fair while of trying to hold it together I finally broke down to dp last night and we both agree that I am most likely depressed and need to seek professional help.

I am going to make an appointment with my GP and dp is going to come with me for support. I'm still bloody terrified though, I think it's mostly down to not knowing what to expect and being worried about being brushed off.

I think it might be helpful for me to hear others experiences. What actually happens when you see your GP for depression/other mental health issues? Do they ask lots of questions? Would it be weird if I wrote everything down to give to the GP? Actually talking about it is very difficult for me.

Really would like to hear others experiences as I feel this may help me pluck up the courage to make that appointment.

AnxiousCarer Mon 10-Oct-16 11:08:53

Your GP should take you seriously. Depression is very common and they will see a lot of people with it. Writing things down is a good idea, as is thaking DP with you.

They will probably ask you some questions and get you to complete a standerdised questionairre about how you have been feeling lately. They will then discuss treatment options. This will likely be antidepressants and hopefully referal on for councelling or other support to go alongside these.

flanjabelle Mon 10-Oct-16 11:14:39

You will be offered talking therapies and anti depressants. You will be encouraged to exercise and look after yourself physically. They will check that you are not an immediate risk to yourself and send you on your way. Please don't expect too much from the appointment, it all takes time. You will have to wait for the anti depressants to start to work (a few weeks) and wait for an appointment for talking therapy (could be a few months).

The best thing you can do in the mean time is exercise. It will release endorphins and pick you up. It works wonders, it really does. It doesn't matter what you do, just get out and move.

I hope you feel better really soon. flowers

flanjabelle Mon 10-Oct-16 11:15:42

And yes it's fine to write it down, but keep it brief as the doctor will not have a long time to read it.

MisterT373 Mon 10-Oct-16 11:53:46

There is a NHS Online depression questionnaire which you can find via Google which I did and told my GP what my score was - or you can print it out. I think that might help with their diagnosis.

imwithspud Mon 10-Oct-16 16:04:31

Thanks all, I know logically there's nothing to be scared of and my fears are irrational. I will start writing a brief list and also check out the NHS website for the questionnaire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now