Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Am I over- reacting to DP's remark?

(8 Posts)
supersop60 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:41:16

DD is seeing CAMHS for bulimia, anxiety and depression. Things have taken a turn for the better recently, due to help from school. However DD's main train of thought is "everything will be better when I'm thin", and she has admitted this is all she thinks about.
Today she told me that DP said to her "well, you could lose a few pounds". DD herself didn't think anything of it, because she agrees. I, on the other hand, am absolutely furious. He's out until late, so I haven't had a chance to speak to him. Am I right to think that this kind of remark is the last thing DD needs to hear if she is to recover?

Amandahugandkisses Thu 29-Sep-16 20:42:50

You are not overreacting. What was he thinking shock

pinkbouqet Thu 29-Sep-16 20:48:26

What a stupid thing for him to say. Most people would take offence to that and to say it to someone with an eating disorder is beyond stupid.

supersop60 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:50:06

The really daft thing is that she looks great - healthy BMI etc. The CAMhs team want to stabilise her weight before they move on to her state of mind.

AnxiousCarer Thu 29-Sep-16 22:41:15

Wow what un unhelpfull comment. Do CAMHS offer any family education and support to help you both to support her?

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Thu 29-Sep-16 22:43:49

Maybe he thought if he agreed to a few pounds she wouldn't strive to lose a ridiculous amount instead?

supersop60 Fri 30-Sep-16 11:00:11

mybear - it's possible. I think he's compounding her body dysmorphia, almost giving her permission to continue the thought process.
anxious - yes, we're due to have a family session, but no date yet.

rumred Fri 30-Sep-16 19:37:22

could he be part of the cause of her body dysmorphia? his comments are hardly trivial, they are deeply concerning and suggest he has a damaging attitude to weight and maybe women too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now