Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Emetophobic mummy

(19 Posts)
Ames33 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:10:21

Hi
I am a terrified emetophobic mummy of a lovely 3 year old boy. I spend my whole time worrying about sickness and when we will get a dreaded tummy bug! I know there are a lot of others out there and just wanted to connect to people.
I know my fear is irrational and ridiculous but it's there and I have to deal with it.
Can I please ask something? My little one started preschool today and I'm just cacking my pants that he is going to pick up loads of tummy bugs and vomit everywhere! Irrational I know, but it is what it is! So my question is, can you honestly tell me how often yours get ill (like sick ill) when they go to nursery/preschool?
I just want to take him out of preschool and keep him with me all the time, but I know this is not an option! Oh and by the way, he bloody loved it today and can't wait to go back (have to admit, a little bit of me wishes that he hated it!! wink

Mrsantithetic Tue 27-Sep-16 21:12:39

My son is just two and has had to 24 hour vomiting bugs.

My daughter is 4 attends nursery etc and has never been sick except for the usual baby milk positing

Lupinlady5 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:16:04

Quite rare. Also, tummy bugs tend to be short-lived. I had one recently and it was v unpleasant but over and done with in about 5 hours (although I was exhausted for a day afterwards)

OrianaBanana Tue 27-Sep-16 21:17:50

My DS is 5.5 and in year 1 - he has never had a sickness bug so far in his life (touch wood). Hope that helps!

donkir Tue 27-Sep-16 21:22:48

My ds (14) has never had a sickness bug and he went to nursery from 6 months. He does get a migraine once in a blue moon and this makes him sick but only once.
My nearly 2yr old does a toddler group 3 days a week and has never had a bug either.

MrsSecker Tue 27-Sep-16 21:31:58

Hi, I'm the same, worry about a bug constantly. The best thing I discovered which helped me cope was 100% Grape Juice which you can buy in supermarkets. If I know my DS has been round a bug we all have a large beaker a day, otherwise we have a beaker every other day as a preventor. If you google it you'll see how it's recommended. I know it's not a cure for my emetophobia and k don't know if I will ever be cured but it helps me to cope and is good for us to drink too!

Ames33 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:32:31

Thank you for your replies!
I wish I could just stop going over and over it in my mind, it's driving me bonkers!! And my husband too!

Lupinlady5 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:39:07

You'll waste your life away worrying though. They are just part of life, although v unpleasant. Have you spoken to your GP?

onlyconnect Tue 27-Sep-16 21:47:03

To answer your question, children vary in the sick-front hugely so there is no answer.

I am like you and found Cure Your Emetophobia and Thrive by Rob Kelly quite helpful

Alyx80 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:47:15

I'm the same too OP.
My one year old was sick for 9 hours yesterday and I'm currently completely panicking that my other three or me and dh are going to come down with it too. It's horrible that I spend so much time thinking about it.

My oldest seems to catch the most sick bugs, he usually gets at least one a year but most have been quite mild. He does seem to get them worse than his siblings if they've had them at the same time. Am hoping he'll get a bit better now he's at high school.

My 8 year old has probably had about 4/5 in his life and my 4 year old has only had two so they're not even that often, a lot of them have only been one single incidence too.

Ames33 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:12:30

Thanks all. Yes I've seen the GP and had many therapies over the years. I am on medication and am currently working through Cure Your Emetophobia and Thrive and have had my first consultation.
This phobia effects me all the time, and I am certainly not even considering having any more children, at least until I have conquered this, which I will!

Ames33 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:13:22

Oh and I will be getting some grape juice tomorrow!! smile

Ames33 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:54:16

I feel for you alyx80, I really do. I know exactly what the all consuming panic feels like, it's worse than the actual act itself in my opinion!! I hope you all get through the next few days without incident, oh and stock up on the grape juice!!

Ames33 Wed 28-Sep-16 16:18:38

Hey does anyone know if the welch's grape juice boost light is as good as the 100% juice? Sent hubby out for some and he came back with that. Xx

niceupthedance Wed 28-Sep-16 16:28:28

I'm currently sitting in the car in the supermarket car park as DS was sick at school earlier. Dp has had to take the afternoon off work as I can't look after him sad
DS is nearly 6 and this is his 3rd, but 2 of them were caught outside of school/nursery. Thanks for the book tip, I'll order it now.

Ames33 Wed 28-Sep-16 17:28:37

Niceupthedance, I know how you are feeling sad don't be hard on yourself, we don't choose to be this way!! Get the book, and if finances permit, get a Thrive counsellor too. Like I said I've just started but am already finding out more about myself and trying to change my thinking. Xx

wibblypig1 Fri 21-Oct-16 23:21:41

I'm here with you all too!
Nice to meet some fellow sufferers.

I'm trying to keep it real this time of year too, and one Facebook post about someone's ill child can send me into a complete tailspin for the rest of the day.

I have 2 children - eldest (6) gets sickness 2 times a year (very mild) on average and youngest is yet to (2).

I just take it a day at a time. Yes, one day they'll be sick. But thankfully, it's not this day.
Good luck and keep in touch xx

Ames33 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:45:43

Thanks for the reply.
I seem to be in an almost constant state of anxiety about it. I suffer from IBS too so always think I have a bug, when normally it's just my IBS! But of course I freak out that it's a bug and I will pass it on to DS.
I hate being this way, but can now at least see there may be a way out of it, using Cure Your Emetophobia and Thrive!! Xx

wibblypig1 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:27:37

I used Thrive too, and got referred to an NHS counsellor who was great. So far, so good, I'm not "cured" but my anxiety doesn't dominate my life as it used to and I'm not as anxious when they are ill. Also, even if they get poorly it's short lived, sometimes it's over before it's begun (e.g. Eldest may have been no sick and that's the end of it all, as she's usually just sick once). Reminding myself of that can help me when I am having a wobble...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now