Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anyone else worry about their mental health issues/anxiety affecting their children?

(2 Posts)
Trickymoments Sun 04-Sep-16 10:55:05

I am really struggling with being a mum. My dc are 8 & 4 and are really hard work. I blame myself and dh as I think we've been too soft and relaxed with any kind of house rules or consequences for bad behaviour.

I am exhausted by my 4 year old. She whines about everything, is not happy unless everything is how she wants it. She is very sweet too but the tantrums seem to be increasing. I just can't seem to make her happy.

DS 8 is challenging and spends most of the time winding up dd or disobeying me. I have tried to implement house rules but he takes no notice of any of them.

We recently went on an all inclusive holiday which was a massive treat for us as we couldn't normally afford a holiday like this. It was awful as for the first 3 days dh & ds were ill and in bed. I was left to entertain dd who complained about everything from the food to getting splashed! By the middle of the week I was exhausted and had hardly spent 5 minutes with dh. We went for a night out and they ended up arguing over which colour straw to have, spilling drinks over us and all the locals looking on in disapproval! I walked home in tears & ds asked dh if we were still going to be married🙁

I can't seem to shake my low mood which I feel is made worse by me not being able to cope with parenting. I just can't do it. I am already on ad's but I just find the whole thing draining & depressing. I am worried about the impact this will have on my children. I don't want to make them emotionally messed up like me.

Can anyone understand or help please? I'm at my wits end and feel I have no one in rl to talk to as every other mum I know seems to manage fine. Why can't I just be happy?!

kavvLar Thu 08-Sep-16 21:27:40

I'm so sorry that you are feeling so low. Sometimes being a parent and having your own struggles don't go well together. You sound like you want it to work so maybe you could consider sitting down with DH and sussing out the three most important things to each of you that aren't happening at the moment. Then work on how you both achieve them. flowers for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now